New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Ľ Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Ľ Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Images, Graphic Design, and Digital Photography Discussion of all things graphics.

Looking for real simple graphics program for the Macbook

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

bittenbytheMac

bittenbytheMac is on a distinguished road

Hello, New to the forum and to Mac.
Having a lot of fun thus far. I do ebay and like to add script to my photos, I have used Picture It in the past, very simple program and I am wanting to know if there is something very easy to work with along that line. Just want to add text, sharpen, exposure , just your basics. I have Corel Paint Shop Pro 2 for my PC and find that a bit to much. Looking forward to hearing what you have to say. Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Will Seashore do the job for you?
QUOTE Thanks
Audio.Trench

Audio.Trench is just really niceAudio.Trench is just really niceAudio.Trench is just really niceAudio.Trench is just really nice
Mac Specs: Custom PC

GIMP is a very popular, useful, and free application that allows editing similar to Photoshop.

I believe SeaShore is based off it as well, but is more light-duty
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkArt View Post
GIMP is a very popular, useful, and free application that allows editing similar to Photoshop.

True, but it requires X11 which, while free, is one more thing that has to be installed. It might be a better bet though depending on your needs.

EDIT: I just tried The Gimp and it is unnecessarily slow. I really wish GTK was ported to OS X...
QUOTE Thanks
falcontook

falcontook is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2.4 Ghz 2GB Ram 200GB Hard drive, Mac Mini 1.5 Intel Core Solo 512Mb Ram

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkArt View Post

Hands down Gimp, good for photo editing and things like that. I believe X11 is also preinstalled on modern Macs....right?
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

It might be - I can't remember if I have it installed because it comes pre-installed or because I installed it myself.
QUOTE Thanks
bittenbytheMac

bittenbytheMac is on a distinguished road

Well that was quick, I went with gimp and it looks like it is going to work out great. A bit more advanced that what I was looking for but still looks user friendly. My MacBook is new so it had the X11 already installed on it. I thank everyone for their input.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

While I don't really care which you choose to go with, did you try Seashore? It's not as sophisticated but should get done what you want. It's also a native cocoa app and therefore doesn't require X11. It's faster (much) and will get the job done.

By all means use The Gimp. I support all open source software so it doesn't matter to me which you use. I just believe you will enjoy Seashore more.
QUOTE Thanks
hingis

hingis is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro / 15-inch:2.2GHz / 2GB memory

Gimp is a good program but not so professional, I suggest you to use a professional program, few weeks later you can learn all the things you need...
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by hingis View Post
Gimp is a good program but not so professional, I suggest you to use a professional program, few weeks later you can learn all the things you need...
There is no need to learn the complexities of a "professional" program if you only need the basics.
QUOTE Thanks
BlueMac

BlueMac is a jewel in the roughBlueMac is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 20" iMac 2.66 GHz... Running 10.5.7

If you don't mind spending some $$$, get the Mac version of Photoshop Elements 6. Can be picked up for about $80.

If you want free, GIMP all the way.

Flickr

Last.fm
Si, hablo Espa˝ol. Oui, je parle franšais. Yes, I speak English.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« New to Mac - ? about Finder vs. iPhoto | Hidden Font »