New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Images, Graphic Design, and Digital Photography Discussion of all things graphics.

Maintaining a logo

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

rsherid

rsherid is infamous around these parts
Mac Specs: 13" MBP - 2.7 Ghz, Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM.

Ok, I have a logo I've created in Photoshop that eventually I'd want to resize, change colors, etc. for future designs. For now, I have a prototype. How exactly do graphic designers go about editing logos without having to re-make them? For example, I have a layer style applied to each letter that I'd hate to have to re-make just because I want to change the size of the logo.
QUOTE Thanks
mcjacksonnelson

mcjacksonnelson has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 2.53 Intel Core Duo Mac Mini; 4g RAM; 350g HD, OS 10.6.3

generally, logos are made in a vector-based program (illustrator, coreldraw, etc...) that way colors can be changed very easily and it can be resized infinitely. if you have to recreate it, my recommendation would be to recreate the logo in a vector-based program.

"You can't fight in here, this is the war room!"

CONSTRUCTIV Art & Design
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

I second the Vector program use.
Logos should always be created that way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsherid View Post
For example, I have a layer style applied to each letter that I'd hate to have to re-make just because I want to change the size of the logo.
Now, to clarify, it sounds more like you don't have a logo at all, but rather a logo treatment, or in layman's terms... a gussied-up, fancified-effects laden version of a logo.

You can still use Photoshop for this, just import your vector object as a smart object first. Size it how you want it and then apply your layer effects and such. (You may have to rasterize it first)

You will have to do this each time you resize it, so I would recommend doing as much of the treatment in a vector program as you can, so you can leave the scalability intact.

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
Audio.Trench

Audio.Trench is just really niceAudio.Trench is just really niceAudio.Trench is just really niceAudio.Trench is just really nice
Mac Specs: Custom PC

+1 for vectoring.

I use Illustrator as well. Rasterized images distort when resizing, whereas vectored images can be scaled without distortion.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Can I use downloaded photoshop brushes in a book I'm going to publish? | 24" iMac color calibration »