New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Images, Graphic Design, and Digital Photography Discussion of all things graphics.

Nikon (.nef) Raw files and iPhoto

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Spanky855

Spanky855 is on a distinguished road

Hi

I use iPhoto for managing my photos and have recently stated shooting 2 shots per picture one in jpg and one Nikons nef Raw format.

Both show up in iphoto with there file extension and size, jpg around 4 meg and nef around 15 which is great because I all I want to do is use iphoto to manage them.

The problem is when ever I drag a nef file from iPhoto onto my desktop, into another file or into photoshop it is automatically converted into a jpg file !

If I drag the same file straight off the cameras memory card it stays as a nef file with no problems.

Anyones help on this would be much appreciated.

Regards Lee
QUOTE Thanks
Spanky855

Spanky855 is on a distinguished road

Sorted it guys and girls.

If you hold down the options key or "alt" as it called when you drag the files, when you drop them it keeps them in the original file extension,

Lee
QUOTE Thanks
nikonjin

nikonjin is on a distinguished road

Good to know.

15" Macbook Pro
Un-unibody

D700 and lenses
QUOTE Thanks
luisfelipetrigo

luisfelipetrigo is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac 24" 4GBram 500GB HD

To comments that are not 100% on the subject:

There are many situations, not only in iPhoto, where using "shift", "cmnd", "alt" or "cntrl" (or a combination of these) results in a different execution of a command/action/menu option. This is very "MAC" and goes to the early days in the mid '80s.

When I first moved into digital photo in late 2007 I started shooting NEF+JPG. After a couple of months I found myself with so many images (all of them duplicated) that I ended up in a file management mess... this was before Apperture, Lightroom, iPhoto'09, etc.
As a result, I now shoot only NEF have an easier time managing photos and can create a JPG any time I need one.
If you have a smooth approach to manage both formats I am interested in knowing about it.

Saludos
Luis Felipe
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Photo posting sites (flickr, Photobucket ect....) | I want buy a lens: A guide to what to look for when purchasing a new lens. »