New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Ľ Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Ľ Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Images, Graphic Design, and Digital Photography Discussion of all things graphics.

Photo Quality on Mac

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

aj07

aj07 is on a distinguished road

SO I recently purchased my very first MAC and I am quite excited about it being an ameture photographer and all,
but there are some things that quite fustrate me,
firstly, when I downloaded my latest images, they were all grainy and I almost had a heart attack.
My canon EOS 400D has th ability to save raw images in JPG files but when i download them onto the comptuer the image duplicates one with a cr2 extension the other with a JPG! (the cr2 are all grainy, and all my JPG are dark)
I'm freaking out here becuase on the PC most of my image quality is great, but why is it all grainy on the mac?
QUOTE Thanks
BlueMac

BlueMac is a jewel in the roughBlueMac is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 20" iMac 2.66 GHz... Running 10.5.7

Are you exposing them properly? What EV might you be shooting at?

Flickr

Last.fm
Si, hablo Espa˝ol. Oui, je parle franšais. Yes, I speak English.
QUOTE Thanks
Village Idiot

Village Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Sooper Fast!

Did you turn the ISO up by accident and forget about it? Image quality should be the exact same unless you did something.

Chaotic Evil, Level 1 IT-Tech

Slough Roast Blog
Capitol Sound Blog
QUOTE Thanks
beefman

beefman is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 24" iMac 3.06Ghz

Your camera sounds like it is set to take both a jpeg & RAW pictures, hence the duplicate file with different extensions.
You have to PP (post process) the RAW to get the most out of it...I'm new at it too so I don't really know how to explain it better than that.

If you don't know how to PP, just set the camera to take jpg (saves space)
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.10, iPhone6, iPad Air, AppleTV2

Why not load the same image on both the Mac and the PC and compare them. Just copy them don't use any particular software to do any processing.

That way you'll know where the problem lies - the image itself, Mac or Pc

If you don't have access to the PC any more take a new set of images using full automatic rather than any manual settings (i.e. remove the yourself from the equation).

Post back the results. Maybe post resized versions of the troublesome pics and the exif data.

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks
Village Idiot

Village Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of light

I didn't think the XTI could do RAW + JPG.

Slough Roast Blog
Capitol Sound Blog
QUOTE Thanks
lemondime

lemondime is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo MacBook, 4GB DDR3, 10.5.7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Village Idiot View Post
Hahaha...Love the handle!

Cheers,
lemondime

www.macftw.com
QUOTE Thanks
beefman

beefman is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 24" iMac 3.06Ghz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Village Idiot View Post
I looked at the question too fast...I thought it said 40D.
QUOTE Thanks
tenpointnine

tenpointnine is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj07 View Post
SO I recently purchased my very first MAC and I am quite excited about it being an ameture photographer and all,
but there are some things that quite fustrate me,
firstly, when I downloaded my latest images, they were all grainy and I almost had a heart attack.
My canon EOS 400D has th ability to save raw images in JPG files but when i download them onto the comptuer the image duplicates one with a cr2 extension the other with a JPG! (the cr2 are all grainy, and all my JPG are dark)
I'm freaking out here becuase on the PC most of my image quality is great, but why is it all grainy on the mac?

I'd suggest shooting in raw only. And avoid using 'Picture Style' processing in the camera. Keep an eye on the histogram display as you shoot, to check that you're getting a decent exposure.
If the RAW files are 'grainy', it's likely that you are shooting at a high ISO number.
QUOTE Thanks
rocketman766

rocketman766 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MBP 17" Glossy 2.16 gHz/2gig/320g

agree with all the others about the high ISO and looking at them on a pc and your mac...when my wife opens pics on her pc and I open the same one on my Mac, she can't believe the difference in the two..the mac being much better!

QUOTE Thanks
luisfelipetrigo

luisfelipetrigo is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac 24" 4GBram 500GB HD

Great comments from all.
Just to reinforce...

Amount of grain/noise in a digital picture is directly related to ISO setting.
Higher ISO more grain/noise.
This apply to all cameras, newer ones can go above ISO 32,000 with very little or no grain/noise at ISO 800 or ISO 1,600 when compared to older models in the same ISO setting. But even then that new camera produces less grain/noise in ISO 800 than in ISO 6,400.

Having said all this... sometimes grain/noise makes an image more interesting, which is why postprocesing software provides ways to add grain/noise.

Saludos
Luis Felipe
QUOTE Thanks
Village Idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by luisfelipetrigo View Post
Great comments from all.
Just to reinforce...

Amount of grain/noise in a digital picture is directly related to ISO setting.
Higher ISO more grain/noise.
This apply to all cameras, newer ones can go above ISO 32,000 with very little or no grain/noise at ISO 800 or ISO 1,600 when compared to older models in the same ISO setting. But even then that new camera produces less grain/noise in ISO 800 than in ISO 6,400.

Having said all this... sometimes grain/noise makes an image more interesting, which is why postprocesing software provides ways to add grain/noise.
And exposure. If the images are underexposed and the program is automatically bumping up to a proper exposure, that could create noise.

Slough Roast Blog
Capitol Sound Blog
QUOTE Thanks
carpenterken

carpenterken will become famous soon enough

I don't read his Question as a camera setting issue, my guess is he knows how to use the camera. It sounds like his monitor needs calibrating.

Open your System preferences ( click the apple sign at top left) go to display, and play with settings/ calibrate. It may help.

Can you plug your pc monitor into your mac?

Raw files look flat before pp.
QUOTE Thanks
aj07

aj07 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpenterken View Post
I don't read his Question as a camera setting issue, my guess is he knows how to use the camera. It sounds like his monitor needs calibrating.

Open your System preferences ( click the apple sign at top left) go to display, and play with settings/ calibrate. It may help.

Can you plug your pc monitor into your mac?

Raw files look flat before pp.
Thanks for all your replies
but carpenterken got it right, I tried playing around with the display, it does make a lot of difference thanks alot!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Is 1.5 gb ram enough for Lightroom | New to Mac - ? about Finder vs. iPhoto »