New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Images, Graphic Design, and Digital Photography Discussion of all things graphics.

24" iMac color calibration

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

sharkman@me.com

sharkman@me.com is on a distinguished road

Hi,
I just purchased my 24" Imac, my first Mac, switched from a PC. Has anyone calibrated their monitor to get the right color output from Photoshop CS4 & Aperture2.

Thanks for the help.
QUOTE Thanks
BlueMac

BlueMac is a jewel in the roughBlueMac is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 20" iMac 2.66 GHz... Running 10.5.7

You probably won't need to calibrate a new iMac, the color is already great... I have had my iMac since August, use Photoshop and it is perfect.

Flickr

Last.fm
Si, hablo Español. Oui, je parle français. Yes, I speak English.
QUOTE Thanks
beefman

beefman is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 24" iMac 3.06Ghz

From what people have said on here...the photos appear over-saturated. I don't seem to see the problem though. But I am new to photography too.
QUOTE Thanks
maanico1

maanico1 is on a distinguished road

My experience is that that the colors/temp appear perfect on screen, but severely cooler, and under saturated in print.
QUOTE Thanks
kkgoxplore

kkgoxplore is on a distinguished road

I have juz got my iMac 24" too. I am totally new to Mac but have enough conviction that it is a better computer for photo processing. I have calibrated my display (using the setup of the iMac display) but got this problem. While the image on the iMac looks great, the same is dull when I view them on my pc notebook. Thinking that it has to do with the limited color space on the notebook, I made a print (from iMac) and found the result similar to the notebook. Where have I gone wrong? I use NX2 for photo editing.
QUOTE Thanks
lovebubest@sbcg

lovebubest@sbcg is on a distinguished road

You need to calibrate the monitor with the same icc profile as Photoshop. Use the system preference color option then click calibrate. You can use any icc profile from the system or download from any website of your output hardware/lab. Then after calibrated your monitor, open Photoshop and choose color setting. Set to use the same profile as your monitor. You should be able to see color consistent with the output of Photoshop and the monitor. Just remember every output center/lab using different icc profile but the most common one are sRGA/ Adobe RGB(1998)

Don't Worry! Be Happy!
iMAC Intel 4GB 3.06GHz /OS version 10.5.6
Powerbook 17" G4 1.5GHz /OS version 10.3.9
QUOTE Thanks
Mama Luigi

Mama Luigi has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Phenom X3 720, Radeon 4870 1GB, 6GB DDR2-800, 32" LCD TV

You should read this thread: After all these years, Apple STILL ships appalling color profiles. - AppleNova Forums

Apple's default color profiles are not very good. They tend to look very washed out. You can try just setting it to "sRGB" instead of "Apple LCD Monitor" or whatever the default is, but if you calibrate it with SuperCal it'll look even nicer than that.
QUOTE Thanks
gixxersean

gixxersean will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: ::24" 2.8ghz iMac w/ nVidia 8800GS::2.4Ghz Unibody Macbook::

Maybe because I'm color blind, but I think the color looks great on my imac...lol
QUOTE Thanks
Mama Luigi

Mama Luigi has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Phenom X3 720, Radeon 4870 1GB, 6GB DDR2-800, 32" LCD TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by gixxersean View Post
Maybe because I'm color blind, but I think the color looks great on my imac...lol
Well, maybe things have changed since that thread. Screens have gotten better and Apple may have wised up and started shipping good color profiles. But you can never know unless you try. Just open up your Displays preferences, go to Color, and change it from "Apple LCD" to "sRGB" and see if you like it.

I'd advise anyone who's interested in improving their color quality to try out SuperCal, but even just using Apple's built-in calibration should show an improvement.
QUOTE Thanks
aileen6

aileen6 is on a distinguished road

Good post.

At its best, entertainment is going to be a subjective thing that can't win for everyone, while at worst, a particular game just becomes a random symbol for petty tribal behavior.
John Carmack
QUOTE Thanks
scathe

scathe is a jewel in the roughscathe is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 2,4Ghz 15" unibody

Quote:
Originally Posted by gixxersean View Post
I have to agree, I haven't done any calibration to my screen and it's clearer than anything else, I haven't noticed any oversaturation, it all comes down to how good our eyesight is huh?

the only other computer I have is a very old one and the lcd is gradually loosing it's brightness so I can't compare, but still

anyway I will switch my color profile to sRGB, I'm thinking if there are so many people having problems, there probably is something to it and I don't want to run to problems with sending pics to pc's down the road
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Maintaining a logo | iPhoto slideshow crash »