New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Images, Graphic Design, and Digital Photography Discussion of all things graphics.

iMac - mac photoshop jpegs wont open properly on pc

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

photoshopg4

photoshopg4 is on a distinguished road

Am in desperate need of help here ive just spent about 4 months producing a new portfolio on a g4 imac I was givin and its great until I try to send the images to people with pc (which is most peaople). The jpegs will open but there is a grey strip missing from the bottom of the image and its really annoying.
+Plus the colours are nothing like the colours I spent hours upon hours getting exactly right on the mac so what can I do????
cheers!

Rich
QUOTE Thanks
Avenger2SER

Avenger2SER is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 15" 2.4ghz C2D (early 2008)

Change your color profile to RGB when exporting to jpeg. Should help

MacBook Pro 2.4 C2D,4gb,320gb 7.2k,10.6 (Primary)
iMac G3 600, iBook G3 500, PBook G3 233, Atom WHS
16gb iPhone 4, 32gb iPhone 3Gs, TV1+2, iPad 32gb
QUOTE Thanks
photoshopg4

If thats the check bot at the bottom of the save as pop up that says "embed color profile: srgb iec61966-2.1" then its already checked???
or are you talking about something else?
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

an easy way to make sure a photoshop jpeg will work on a PC is to use the Save for web command, that makes it RGB and gives you more control over the compression and file size

File > Save for web

Member of the Month September 2008 & August 2012 | Found advice useful? – use the rep system
QUOTE Thanks
Avenger2SER

Avenger2SER is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 15" 2.4ghz C2D (early 2008)

I just looked in cs4, I see where it only has RGB checked... ran into a similar problem in illustrator a few months ago but it was set to CKMY... try the save for web feature luishen suggested.

The only other thing I can think of is to save as a pdf. That should carry over all the color info.

MacBook Pro 2.4 C2D,4gb,320gb 7.2k,10.6 (Primary)
iMac G3 600, iBook G3 500, PBook G3 233, Atom WHS
16gb iPhone 4, 32gb iPhone 3Gs, TV1+2, iPad 32gb
QUOTE Thanks
purplesnapper

purplesnapper is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: PowerPC G5 (4x2.5GHz)

hey Rich,
I'm a photographer, and i have saved a print image for screen use in hurry - and the colours were mad weird when its gone online, we've all done it at some point. Thats the cmyk setting for you, RGB is what the screens like best :-) To check, open one of the images, goto image/mode is the tick next to RGB?
When you say "there's a grey strip at the bottom missing" do you mean you added that to a photo - but its not there now? if you do, did you do it in a separate layer - and did you "flatten all layers" before you saved the image as a jpg? if not - that might be where it disappeared, depending on which layers were active when hit save.
QUOTE Thanks
photoshopg4

hey guys cheers for your response ive im now able to open the images on my pc tho only sending them via email and not usb?? the grey strip (which only appeared when transfered from mac to pc) has gone too BUT..

having the images next to each other, i mean having the same images next to each other, one on the pc screen and the other on the macg4 screen the colours are the same tho just way darker on the pc. the only way to discribe it is the image on the pc is just dull and not too far away from looking black and white!(maybe an exageration..) but its a serious problem tho cos i prefere using photoshop on the g4 but if im always going to have this problem then whats the point of having a mac because im a trainee web designer and if i creatred web sites on the mac most people would be viewing them on a pc and so the graphic design would look very poor....so im thinking of getting rid of the mac because i really cant see any use for it!! maybe if i was a graphic designer purely but apart from that they look cool and photoshop works a little bit better but its kind of a faulse economy becuase the images ive just spend 6 months doing are only a true representation of the original image on macs or i guess if u were printing them out. very disappointing and im gutted cos i loved the mac but its just not practical at all for most jobs. why dont apple make it more compatable with pc????!!
QUOTE Thanks
scathe

scathe is a jewel in the roughscathe is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 2,4Ghz 15" unibody

it's not a problem of operating system, it't just seperate screens and I also think Mac screens tend to be much brighter and clearer (is that a word? )

the only way to ensure colors will be the same no matter where you post it, is if you were to save the image in web-safe colors

it's similar to what was stated above with printing, the image never looks the same right off the print as you saw it on screen unless you were very careful

Edit:
you could always try a different file format, jpeg is very compressed even at the highest settings, it is definitely lossless but that would depend on what you're working with etc
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Problem syncing certain pics on iPhoto with iPhone | Font Manager Suggestions »