New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Images, Graphic Design, and Digital Photography Discussion of all things graphics.

Would an external DVD writer be quicker

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

chappers

chappers is on a distinguished road

OK I've a nice new Mac Book Pro. However I've noticed that it takes longer to write DVD's than my 3 year old Dell running XP.

Now part of the problem is that the Dell has a 16X writer, and a faster Hard Drive.

To write a 3.2Gb DVD the Mac takes 17 mins ( write and verify) whilst the Dell takes 11mins ( same parameters). Limiting the write speed to 8x on the Dell it's still quicker by about 4 mins.

Now my question is would an external DVD writer help speed things up. Or would using different DVD writing software such as Toast help?
QUOTE Thanks
IanCT

IanCT will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: iMac 24" 2.66 C2D, 13" MacBook i7 2.9GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 4

You are bottlenecked by the limitations of the DVD drive, not the software.

An external DVD writer would be the solution if you want to burn at faster speeds. I have a LaCie LightScribe that was replaced under warranty after about 8 month and they gave me the latest and greatest version at the time, but shortly after the warranty period expired on the replacement it started acting erratic. Shame because they typically have nice hardware.

I would stick with name brands, Pioneer, Sony, HP, NEC, even LaCie. Stay away from anything Dynex or Insignia if you go to Best Buy.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« photo screen saver issues | Badfish @ Ram's Head Live! in Baltimore. »