New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Images, Graphic Design, and Digital Photography Discussion of all things graphics.

My 5D MKII got wet.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Village Idiot

Village Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Sooper Fast!

Tuesday night me and two friends were heading out to a bar to throw some darts and drink some brews. Fortunately, my camera was with me.

The friend driving saw red off of the horizon and smoke. Apparently a large fire. I told him to drive back in the direction of the smoke to see what was up. When we rolled up on this house, it was already completely engulfed and there was no one there. I told the other passenger to call 911 and I started shooting. We were there for about 45 minutes or so and I got pretty much the whole thing.

Needless to say, the 5D MKII rocks. I was shooting with the 24-70 f/2.8 and the 70-200 f/2.8 IS. The below photos are a little small, but if you click on them, it'll take you to the flick page where you can see the larger sizes. In the last one you can see about how hard it was raining.

Chaotic Evil, Level 1 IT-Tech

Slough Roast Blog
Capitol Sound Blog
QUOTE Thanks
IanCT

IanCT will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: iMac 24" 2.66 C2D, 13" MacBook i7 2.9GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 4

Wow! Awesome pictures. Great color in the one with the two firemen looking thru the window. That, and the first one are my favorite.
QUOTE Thanks
rocketman766

rocketman766 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MBP 17" Glossy 2.16 gHz/2gig/320g

First off, great pics. Second off, as a beginning photography buff..(???) what were your settings in getting these pics? I would love to be able to capture things like this, but at this point, unless I go "full auto" on my Xsi, I don't think I could do it just yet.

QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Amazing pics! I take it the house was a total loss? Is the camera ok? You said it got wet.
QUOTE Thanks
Village Idiot

Village Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketman766 View Post
First off, great pics. Second off, as a beginning photography buff..(???) what were your settings in getting these pics? I would love to be able to capture things like this, but at this point, unless I go "full auto" on my Xsi, I don't think I could do it just yet.
The camera doesn't matter, such a great quote.

I was shooting in full manual mode at f/4, 1/40, 3200 ISO, and at 70mm focal length. You'd have a hard time getting salvage shots with the XSI. I'm not saying it's impossible, it would just take more work.

You'd probably have to have at least a fast zoom so you could shoot at f/2.8. The 50MM f/1.8 would actually be ideal and would be about the same focal length on the XSI. So with a 50mm f/1.8 you could probably manage 1/40, 1600 ISO, and f/1.8 as the settings for similar shots with maybe a little bit more noise. Keep in mind that I was probably shooting with my 70-200 f/2.8L IS, so image stability was helping camera shake. It didn't do much for blur.

This is probably all foreign to you, so for the best help you might pick up the book "Understanding Exposure". I've never personally read it, but everyone that has says it's a great book for helping beginners understand how everything works so they can get into comfortable stepping out of the green box mode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtravis7 View Post
Amazing pics! I take it the house was a total loss? Is the camera ok? You said it got wet.
Yeah. The only thing standing is the chimney. It was abandoned though. My friends parents used to own the land it was on.

It help up fine. It was a steady rain but it wasn't really heavy. I was out in the wet for about 45 minutes. The good news is it works fine. The bad news it that I need to buy more memory cards.

Slough Roast Blog
Capitol Sound Blog
QUOTE Thanks
rocketman766

rocketman766 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MBP 17" Glossy 2.16 gHz/2gig/320g

Thanks for the input VI, I have probably taken about 1000 pics already comparing the effects of the different settings so every little bit of new knowledge I can get my hands on helps.

QUOTE Thanks
jbarket

jbarket is on a distinguished road

He's right. Without the insane ISO of the 5D, the XSi would just pick up a blur. You'd do well with a speedlite, but you'd lose some of the insanity in these shots.

Wild shoot man. I'm glad the title wasn't literal. I was waiting for a horror story.
QUOTE Thanks
Hermolicious84

Hermolicious84 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbarket View Post
He's right. Without the insane ISO of the 5D, the XSi would just pick up a blur. You'd do well with a speedlite, but you'd lose some of the insanity in these shots.

Wild shoot man. I'm glad the title wasn't literal. I was waiting for a horror story.
Yikes. I also thought I was about to read that the camera got destroyed!
QUOTE Thanks
Arustik1

Arustik1 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 13" Macbook 2.2GHz 160GB

Sick pictures man!!
QUOTE Thanks
lifeafter2am

lifeafter2am is a jewel in the roughlifeafter2am is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro Unibody

I am so glad I just ordered my 5D MKII!!!

masakatsu agatsu

@lifeafter2am
QUOTE Thanks
Village Idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeafter2am View Post
I am so glad I just ordered my 5D MKII!!!
You should see the pictures I took of a Frank's Red Hot Beed stick. Man this thing is so useful...

Slough Roast Blog
Capitol Sound Blog
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Explain about images pc (Windows) and Mac | feature full calendar program »