New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Images, Graphic Design, and Digital Photography Discussion of all things graphics.

Why are my images shrinking?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

digital john

digital john has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 20" iMac G5, 4G 40gb, G4 iBook

So I received a Canon Rebel XS for xmas. I have taken a lot of picture and uploaded them to iPhoto without issue. BUT when I upload the pictures it free hosting sites like imageshack, or tinypic the image shrinks to a smaller size. Maybe they are shrinking the image because its too large?

Here is an example.

Can anyone explain why this is happening, or have a solution? It's starting to annoy me.

Thanks in advance

QUOTE Thanks
J_K

J_K will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Macbook 1.83Mhz, added superdrive and 320gb HD

Can't help with the why but if you use photobucket, you can choose a size that you want the picture to be.
I've got some up there at 1024x768.

First came a shuffle. Then an 8gb 3rd gen nano.
Next a macbook.
Then an Ipod Touch. And a Nikon D300. Not an Apple but gets used with the macbook
QUOTE Thanks
dbnoise

dbnoise will become famous soon enough

Imageshack has an option that resizes your photos. Next time you upload see if the the box is checked for resizing.
QUOTE Thanks
eric

eric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond repute

i use smugmug. there is a yearly cost, but it saves the original size and makes various other sizes for your convenience. the UI is also very very nice.

btw, if anyone wants to try it, i can save you 5 bucks on the fee. just pm me for a referral.

Please participate in our Member of the Month polls. Every vote counts! And remember to use the user reputation system!
["Dear Homer, I. O. U. one emergency donut. Signed, Homer." - Note by Homer Simpson]
QUOTE Thanks
digital john

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbnoise View Post
Imageshack has an option that resizes your photos. Next time you upload see if the the box is checked for resizing.
I've done that with all pictures and all options but they are always the same size.

QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

I don't know what setting you are shooting in. IE RAW or whatever, but typically those are huge files. Most of those free image hosting websites put a limit on how big an image file can be. Imageshack has a limit of 1.3MB or something like that, and you need to pay money to upload images that are 3MB.

Tinker with the DPI to make the files smaller is really the only way to avoid your images being resized.

死神はリンゴしか食べない。
QUOTE Thanks
digital john

I will try adjusting the DPI I just need to figure out how. LOL. Much to learn with a new camera.

QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

Well typically you do those kind of things are done with software, because you want to have the highest quality possible when shooting. When you upload or show to others you want to do so in away that is reasonable for viewing on the web. You need to optimize the image by using Photoshop, lightroom etc.

死神はリンゴしか食べない。
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« 'Preview' not working | skiing/snowboarding photography »