New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Images, Graphic Design, and Digital Photography Discussion of all things graphics.

in the Raw

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

zman2408

zman2408 is on a distinguished road

I have been playing with my new XSi and I have had it set to shoot in jpg & raw simultaneously I don't really like the included canon software just not that user friendly IMO and I cannot part with iPhoto's organization I just love it too much...

I went on 3 excursions and have over 1000 RAW images I want to process ... I cannot find anything that says iPhoto has true RAW editing capabilities ... although simply "enhancing" the RAW photo's is generally doing a very nice job...

so... specific questions...

1.) Is there anyway in iPhoto I can seperate my RAW photo's from my jpg's ? I have an event with 600 photo's 300 raw & 300 jpg ... is there anyway I can seperate the RAW and do a sort of batch process?
1. part two) Is there a simple way too select the RAW images and transfer them to my shared (mac & pc) external HDD and keep the jpg's in iPhoto.

2.) Is there a simple way to use the canon software in conjunction with iPhoto?

Any general advice on using photo software would be appreciated..

THanks

& apologies for thew wordiness

My first apple product is this White 2.4 Mac Book I bought on September 25, 2008!
QUOTE Thanks
CameraMike

CameraMike will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: BlackBook 13.3" 2.13ghz Intel Core 2 Duo 2gb SDRAM 160gb HD

1) Maybe if you go to view in iPhoto. View > Sort Photos > by title you could sort your photos by kind.
2) I know Aperture and Adobe Lightroom can do it. I use Adobe Lightroom to manage my photos.

I can track photos by type of file, camera, lens, ISO/ASA speed, aperture, shutter speed, etc. Export to any drive connected to my mac as a .DNG, .JPG or save changes and move the file entirely.

The same goes for Apple's Aperture. I don't know about canon's software because I haven't tried to use it in years and I am a nikon user in general.
QUOTE Thanks
carpenterken

carpenterken will become famous soon enough

If you really want to start shooting raw, you should invest in a program like Lightroom. I used Iphoto for raw when I first got the mac, but was not that impressed with it. Yes it will work. Sorry for not having you answer.
QUOTE Thanks
len0475

len0475 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpenterken View Post
If you really want to start shooting raw, you should invest in a program like Lightroom. I used Iphoto for raw when I first got the mac, but was not that impressed with it. Yes it will work. Sorry for not having you answer.
Another vote for Lightroom. It's real easy to organize and work with your photos in Lightroom.

For your first question, why not sort it like the other poster recommended.

For your second question, it will probably be redundant I'm guessing. Just use either or, unless you want to use the canon program to get the pictures over and then use iPhoto to manage it.

Lightroom can take care of all of this btw.
QUOTE Thanks
Del

Del has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 2xQuad core 2.8GHZ

Treat yourself to Aperture, you won't regret it
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« inaccurate color representation | Painting with Light.. »