New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Images, Graphic Design, and Digital Photography Discussion of all things graphics.

Anything like the "Fractalius" Photoshop plug-in for mac??

Thread Closed

psychodork

psychodork is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Black MB - 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo - 4 GB DDR2 SDRAM - OSX 10.5.8

Fractalius: Photoshop plug-in for eccentric graphic effects

This filter looks pretty sweet! I really want to fool around with this, but there is apparently no mac version... Anyone know about anything similar?
Wassie

Wassie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychodork View Post
Fractalius: Photoshop plug-in for eccentric graphic effects

This filter looks pretty sweet! I really want to fool around with this, but there is apparently no mac version... Anyone know about anything similar?
I would like to know this, too.
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

It's more than a little ridiculous that this developer won't "port" the plug-in to the platform 50% of Photoshop users use, particularly given that (as I understand it), to make an Intel-only Mac-compatible Photoshop plug-in takes no real effort from a Windows one. There's even a petition going.

Still, it's his choice of course. Hopefully people will write in and point out the obvious, that he's missing out on sales because of the attitude. Maybe that will motivate him.

In terms of alternatives, I don't personally know of anything exactly like Fractalius, but Filterforge is similarly priced for the Basic version of the product, and has many many more filters: Filter Forge - Photoshop Plugin to Create Your Own Filters
TysonRobichaud

TysonRobichaud is on a distinguished road

I've been hoping for the same thing for the last couple years. I've found a workaround using Topaz Clean 3 to get a fractilius-like effect. Cool part is it's pretty cheap as far as plugins go.

I wrote an article about using Clean 3 to replicate fractilus on a mac on my blog here if you're interested:

*Fractilius for Mac!?

I know this may come across as spamming, but I figured I'd share how I have come to remedy the unwillingness of redfield to release fractilius for mac for those of us who may want to play with an edge manipulation plugin to get similar results.

Cheers,

Tyson
blackrose

blackrose is on a distinguished road

Hey i wish i knew that question too it looks cool but i got Mac their nothing for us i think we miss out on qiute alot stuff
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

No, we don't "miss out on a lot of stuff" unless you include viruses, frustration and data loss ... there are a few key areas where Macs aren't as strong as PCs for sure, but in most of those cases there's nothing wrong with that. I'd hate to live in a world where there was only Apple (but I'd hate to live in a world where there was only Windows worse. )
Fleshy

Fleshy is on a distinguished road

If anyone is still interested, I found an app for Ipad/Iphone that does the fractalius effect very nicely...it is called "Tangled FX". I don't know if the original creator of fractalius had a hand in it or not, but it is very easy to use, and the outcome is quite satisfactory. I installed it on my ipad and have been pleased with the ability to make adjustments, as well as the various pre-sets available. Hope this helps.

Thread Closed

« iPhoto-to-SD card transfer | Engine # 90 »