New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Images, Graphic Design, and Digital Photography Discussion of all things graphics.

First shots from new dslr

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Village Idiot

Village Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Sooper Fast!

And the beautiful part is that you can downsize and it doesn't matter what ISO you're shooting at.

ISO 1600

ISO 4000

ISO 3200

Chaotic Evil, Level 1 IT-Tech

Slough Roast Blog
Capitol Sound Blog
QUOTE Thanks
mdfuller

mdfuller is a jewel in the roughmdfuller is a jewel in the roughmdfuller is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 15-inch MacBook Pro

Awesome picture of the dog! What kind of dSLR? I am buying one this weekend for a trip to CA. It will be my first dSLR.
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

I agree, that shot of the dog is just beautiful.

What is the first picture of? I can't seem to figure it out

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
Village Idiot

Village Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kash View Post
I agree, that shot of the dog is just beautiful.

What is the first picture of? I can't seem to figure it out
The first shot is just the lights in my kitchen. I've been playing around since yesterday. I'm about to go take some real pictures though. Full Frame + wide apertures = great DOF. Plus it doesn't hurt that it was downsized from 21mp, so I won't have to do a lot of sharpening for web sized photos. I am going to have to throw out my portfolio and start over. Everything looks so good coming from this beast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdfuller View Post
Awesome picture of the dog! What kind of dSLR? I am buying one this weekend for a trip to CA. It will be my first dSLR.
Canon 5D MKII

I was using my Canon 24-70 f/2.8L on it for most of the evening. I'm going to play with some of the other lenses I have today. The 15mm FE is going to be fun.

Slough Roast Blog
Capitol Sound Blog
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Village Idiot View Post
The first shot is just the lights in my kitchen. I've been playing around since yesterday. I'm about to go take some real pictures though. Full Frame + wide apertures = great DOF. Plus it doesn't hurt that it was downsized from 21mp, so I won't have to do a lot of sharpening for web sized photos. I am going to have to throw out my portfolio and start over. Everything looks so good coming from this beast.

Canon 5D MKII

I was using my Canon 24-70 f/2.8L on it for most of the evening. I'm going to play with some of the other lenses I have today. The 15mm FE is going to be fun.
I was just about to say that must be a pretty nice camera to take images that nice at ISO3200.

Looks brilliant, now we want to see some video...
QUOTE Thanks
Village Idiot

I'm going to try and play with the video function tonight. I've recorded a bit, but deleted everything so far. I've never really messed with it much. Plus I have to go pick up the discs. I left them in the box at my parent's place. I just swapped out my cameras in the bag.

Here's one from Antietam with the Canon 15mm f/2.8 FE.

Slough Roast Blog
Capitol Sound Blog
QUOTE Thanks
Jester2893

Jester2893 is on a distinguished road

I wish you could get quality pictures like those above without having a big bulky DSLR.
QUOTE Thanks
Village Idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester2893 View Post
I wish you could get quality pictures like those above without having a big bulky DSLR.
If that ever happens, it's going to be years off. That's due to the sensor being about the size of a frame of 35mm film and the optics in the glass. Unless they start making P&S with manual controls, large sensors, and apertures of f/.9, then it's probably never going to happen.

That's why Olympus has to have glass with apertures of f/2.0 compared to the exact same lenses from other brands that have apertures of f/2.8 or so, the sensor is much smaller than normal and won't achieve the same DOF unless they have wider apertures. P&S cameras have sensors even smaller than the 4/3rd's sensor.

Slough Roast Blog
Capitol Sound Blog
QUOTE Thanks
Doug b

Doug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5

Those are great shots. I really appreciate the DOF offered w/that lens. Mucho fun ! The detail on the dog is fantastic, especially at that ISO. How high can you go before seeing noise ? BTW, did you use any post production noise reduction or are those straight out of the camera ?

Doug
QUOTE Thanks
Village Idiot

I have imagenomic but I try not to use it. Didn't use it on those.

Seeing noise is relative to how you shoot. I can get noise at ISO 100 if I tried. I was comfortably shooting between 1600-6400 last night. It has two hi modes, but they're software pushed and no the sensor sensitivity increased.

Slough Roast Blog
Capitol Sound Blog
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Totally outstanding. Very impressed!
QUOTE Thanks
Doug b

Doug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Village Idiot View Post

Seeing noise is relative to how you shoot. I can get noise at ISO 100 if I tried.
I'm curious about this statement and would like to be enlightened, if you wouldn't mind ? I've only ever found that the noise I see associated with ISO sensitivity increases as you jack the ISO levels up.

Doug
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester2893 View Post
PowerShot G10, anyone?

死神はリンゴしか食べない。
QUOTE Thanks
macvypher

macvypher is on a distinguished road

These shots look awesome especially the dog photo.

Why So Serious?
QUOTE Thanks
Village Idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonRequiem View Post
PowerShot G10, anyone?
It's a great cameras and David Hobby, the writer of the Strobist blog rocks the G9 on occasion since it has a hot shoe. You'd never be able to tell from some of his pictures what camera it is. But then again, it's the lighting that does that. There's still limitations though and you're not going to get the quality and high ISO performance out of a G10 that you would from a Full Frame camera.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug b View Post
I'm curious about this statement and would like to be enlightened, if you wouldn't mind ? I've only ever found that the noise I see associated with ISO sensitivity increases as you jack the ISO levels up.

Doug
Of course, as ISO goes up, so does noise, but noise is always there. The below shot is a crop of a photo shot at ISO 100. If you look at the black space to the right, you'll see noise. You'll have to click on it to go to flickr, then view the large file.

Noise is created by underexposure. Some cameras hide it better than others, but if you're shooting under the right conditions, you can see noise anywhere.

Slough Roast Blog
Capitol Sound Blog
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« photo booth is out of order | 'Preview' not working »