New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Images, Graphic Design, and Digital Photography Discussion of all things graphics.

canon or nikon

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

macwannabe

macwannabe is a jewel in the roughmacwannabe is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac 2.8 Ghz, 1TB, 8GB RAM | 13" MBP 2.53Ghz 320GB HD, 4G RAM | iPad 2 64GB+3G *WHITE*

i was looking at Nikon's my dad is a Photographer and he has had Nikon since b4 i was born and i like Nikon but i recently been looking a Canon. i was thinking for a first D-SLR as a D60 or a EOS Rebel XSi

what do all of you think?

Mind you i am in school for graphic design..

thanks for all the insight in advance...

Click the logo to check out my site...

"learn the basics, learn the rules, and then learn how to break them creatively.." - Phototini
QUOTE Thanks
carpenterken

carpenterken will become famous soon enough

The best all around Canon is the 40D, They are very reasonable right now.
A good site to read reviews is.
fredmiranda.com: Specialized in Canon - Nikon SLR Cameras, Forum, Photoshop Plugins, Actions, Reviews, Hosting and Digital Darkroom
One advantage of the 40D is, it can take 6.5 fps. the auto focus rate is very fast. The biggest thing to quality pics is the glass you put on the camera (don't skimp).
This shot was take with my 40d and a 17-40L lens last weekend.
QUOTE Thanks
walkerj

walkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nice
Mac Specs: 13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive

The answer is: either!

I'm a Nikon guy now, but either camera will do you well. My Canon is a point and shoot but my DSLR is a Nikon D40. They are both great cameras and DSLR wise either body will produce excellent results. What you are buying into are a host of lenses and accessories really.

My wife chose Olympus. Go figure. Choose your equipment and then go take great pictures.
QUOTE Thanks
Village Idiot

Village Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Sooper Fast!

The downside with entry level Nikon is that they don't AF with all the Nikon lenses.

Other than that, they're about the same until you get up to the $2000+ range.

And buying used is better. An almost new 40D can be had for about $600 right now. That's cheap.

Chaotic Evil, Level 1 IT-Tech

Slough Roast Blog
Capitol Sound Blog
QUOTE Thanks
Quicktime_GT

Quicktime_GT is on a distinguished road

I use an XSi, but my vote would be go with the new Nikon D90.

As far as Nikon vs Canon, thats like comparing babtist and christians, you're typically going to get strong biased opinions in both directions. There are good and bad to both, but at least you've narrowed it down to a smart selection.

Decide what you want to spend first of all then decide on a total budget you would feel comfortable eventually spending on a camera. It might be more beneficial for you to spend a hair less on the camera and purchase a nicer lens.

The nikon D40/60 cameras are nice, I really like D80's and haven't seen a D90 in person yet but the specs are good.

I use an Xsi, I'd probably spend the extra on it compared to an XS. Any of the "D" cameras are good ..
QUOTE Thanks
JGruber

JGruber has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 15" 2ghz/2GB/250gb/SD - White Macbook 2.16ghz/2.5GB/250GB/SD

I would say to to a store where they have both camera companys, and get a feel how they both feel in your hands, how they look to you, how each does the basic of tasks.

The debate between Nikon and Canon will get you Fan boys from both sides. Best way to tell is to go and try them both. Get what YOU like, and what is in your budget.

All Camera's well generally take the same picture, lenses make a world of difference, like stated above, a cheaper camera might be the way to go, but get a nice lens.

Personally, I have a D50, and a D300 (new purchase) every lens I bought with the D50, works flawlessly on the D300... and I love them both. I use both for mine & my wifes Photography buisness.
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

I thought baptists were Christians

Anyway, either... I use Nikons because I have a lot of Nikkor glass.. but beyond that I absolutely dislike Canons 'ergonomics' and prefer Nikons. See if you can actually use both sometime and go from there.

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks
macwannabe

Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac 2.8 Ghz, 1TB, 8GB RAM | 13" MBP 2.53Ghz 320GB HD, 4G RAM | iPad 2 64GB+3G *WHITE*

thanx everyone you are all insightful i will go to the store and feel them both out... i work at Best Buy...lol

"learn the basics, learn the rules, and then learn how to break them creatively.." - Phototini
QUOTE Thanks
AConfire

AConfire will become famous soon enough

Also, since your dad shoots Nikon, you could potentially have access to his lenses, right?

But yeah, check out the feel, ergonomics, etc'. They are all great systems, and you really can't go wrong with either.

You might get a Nikon today, then want a Canon in 2 years... Or vice versa... Same thing with other camera brands.

View my photography blog Here!
QUOTE Thanks
macwannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by AConfire View Post
Also, since your dad shoots Nikon, you could potentially have access to his lenses, right?.
hahaha... HAHAHA me use his lenses.. i talked to my dad about that once that was a fast topic change... like "dad could i use your lenses if i got a Nikon", he saying "NO!" then asking how was i doing in my classes...lol...

QUOTE Thanks
walkerj

walkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by macwannabe View Post
hahaha... HAHAHA me use his lenses.. i talked to my dad about that once that was a fast topic change... like "dad could i use your lenses if i got a Nikon", he saying "NO!" then asking how was i doing in my classes...lol...
Then offer to rent them from him. That's what other photographers do. You think everyone you see with one of those big-honking lenses on TV actually owns them? Jeebus those things cost $10,000+.

Oh, and just assure him that you'll be using a condom, er, filter for safe snaps with no lens damage.
QUOTE Thanks
macwannabe

again hahaha he wants me to earn everything i get in my life.. therefore that wont happen. it is ok though, i will build my lenses up in due time.. but that is a good idea thanx for the gesture. he says if i earn it i have more responsibility/ownership over it, ever since i was little i was taught the value of a buck..

which is why i want a Mac..

QUOTE Thanks
walkerj

Then I would argue this: You're earning it based on your effort to make great photography. Something you would be assisted with by having access to great lenses.

Your dad sounds like my generation, influenced by my previous generation. For reference I am 41. But when it comes to photography, you should be able to build on the previous generation. Anyway, good luck with your quest.

It is a quest, after all.
QUOTE Thanks
macwannabe

thx for all the advice.. by the way i am 26 if you were wondering.. my dad is 58

QUOTE Thanks
MelmoK

MelmoK is on a distinguished road

I'll go on the record and say a Canon 40D
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Forming the numbers 09 with 117 full names | New Zoom Lens :) »