High-Quality Capture Cards
    I have been doing research for a long time on capture cards, and now have upgrade from an Xbox 360 to an 80gb PS3 (now I have an HDMI output, basically is what I'm trying to say) and I want to know if anyone knows of any external capture cards that support HDMI?

I found this Canopus.. Grass Valley ADVC110 Advanced Digital Video Converter - Apple Store (U.S.)
    I was recommended it by my cousin, who manages an Apple store, along with just about every employee who knew anything about capture cards at my local Apple store, but it only supports the red, white, and yellow cables (component I assume they're called).

The one brand I will not go with is Pinnacle, I used to have a MovieBox DV and it burned out my FireWire ports and we tried replacing it 3 times but to no avail, luckily things worked out with my PowerMac G5 and it was fixed under warranty, but I'll never trust Pinnacle again.

If it helps, I will be editing the video on a MacBook Pro, 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB Ram, NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT (I am pretty sure that's the graphics card). Actually, I will either be editing on the laptop I just mentioned or on my PowerMac G5 (2.0GHz, right before they switched to the Intel chips... I mean DAYS before), I know I have an upgraded NVIDIA graphics card, I just don't know which one and I'm 3.5hrs away from it right now at school. Hope that info helps.

HDMI vs. component
    I have recently been doing some video conversion of my own, and have found that even the highest quality connection is not necessarily the answer. If the video was recorded a while ago, chances are, the Canopus ADVC 110 would offer you more than adequate transfer quality. I am using that particular hardware right now and I notice absolutely no loss in audio or video quality during transfer. I hope this helps.
    MacBook Pro 2.7 GHZ Core i7 4Gb Ram 500 GB Hard Drive

Thread Information