New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Images, Graphic Design, and Digital Photography Discussion of all things graphics.

Need some ideas...

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

TenderSurrender

TenderSurrender is just really niceTenderSurrender is just really niceTenderSurrender is just really niceTenderSurrender is just really nice
Mac Specs: MBP - 2.66Ghz Core 2 duo, 4GB Ram, 320GB HDD, Geforce 9400m + 9600M GT (256mb)

Hey everyone

Looking for some advice here on what equipment i need (if any) to...

Take high quality photos with great lighting (color in the photos is KEY) in a room measuring approximately:

Height: 200 cm (tilted roof down to 186 cm)
Length: 292 cm
Width : 247 cm

My current rig is:

Nikon D50 Body
AF-S Nikkor 18-55 mm 1:3.5-5.6G ED
Nikon AF Nikkor 70-300 mm 1:4-5.6 G
Nikon SB-600 Speedlight

As i say the colors in these photos must be crucial, they are of tattoos and piercings that have JUST been done in our shop. Money is a bit tight for me so lets try and keep ideas reasonable?

Should we paint the room a certain color? matte or gloss? Should i get a different lens or some studio flashes with umbrellas etc?

All help is greatly appreciated... might even be a cookie in it for you if its REALLY helpful :p

-- Bry

JEMDNA Photography - Clicky to see latest work
“Punk is not dead. Punk will only die when corporations can exploit and mass produce it.”
QUOTE Thanks
TenderSurrender

TenderSurrender is just really niceTenderSurrender is just really niceTenderSurrender is just really niceTenderSurrender is just really nice
Mac Specs: MBP - 2.66Ghz Core 2 duo, 4GB Ram, 320GB HDD, Geforce 9400m + 9600M GT (256mb)

BUMP to the top

-- Bry

JEMDNA Photography - Clicky to see latest work
“Punk is not dead. Punk will only die when corporations can exploit and mass produce it.”
QUOTE Thanks
walkerj

walkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nice
Mac Specs: 13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive

Sounds to me that you have everything you need already. White painted ceiling to bounce the flash from your SB-600 speedlight should be fine, and all the gear you've listed should do you just fine. Your main issue would be printing the results, which I would suggest doing professionally at whatever version of what outfits you lot in the UK have that do photo processing. Using natural lighting would work fine as well.

About the only thing I would suggest is a 50mm lens with that D50 for non-flash portraiture; doesn't matter if it's not auto-focus since you'll be able to manually focus it, right?

Perhaps also twiddle about with the white balance depending on whether you're using fluorescent or incandescent lights if not using flash. Also get some big-assed SD cards for the camera. If you have 4GBx2 cards to play with you can snap a metric bum-load of shots at different settings to make sure you've got it right at very little cost. Just pick very carefully which ones you're going to print.
QUOTE Thanks
EDIT-XTREEM

EDIT-XTREEM has a spectacular aura about

Take a look at the Gary Fong Lightsphere, it should make the flash look more natural.

Maybe if you post an example we can give you more feedback on what you can do to enhance the setup.

Mac Pro (Early 2009) 8 Core 2.26 GHz, 6 GB Ram, 640 GB Drive. Dell 2408WFP.
QUOTE Thanks
carpenterken

carpenterken will become famous soon enough

If the ceiling is low enough, bouncing the flash off it is a great thing to do. The ceiling has to be white though.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Lightroom or aperture 2 | iPhoto - there has to be a way to do this. »