New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Images, Graphic Design, and Digital Photography Discussion of all things graphics.

Scanner for Mac

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

ntrphoto

ntrphoto is on a distinguished road

I am looking for a nice scanner for my Mac. I have a lot of old photos I would like to preserve digitally. I can spend up to $500. Any recommendations? Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
Clairejr

Clairejr is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo, PPC G4

I can't recommend a specific scanner since mine is more than 6 years old, but I'd recommend Canon. I have a Canoscan that still works great after all these years.

Low-end Canon Photo Scanners: Photo Scanners - Canon USA Consumer Products

If you want to see how good low-end Canon scanners are, take a look at my website:

World Travels Welcome Page

All of the photos were taken with a Fuji camera, scanned into my old PPC Mini with my ancient Canoscan and tweaked with iPhoto. I'm not a great photographer and my camera is a low-end Fuji, so much of the credit for the quality of the photos goes to the Canoscan.

Claire

Claire Rottenberg
Homepage: Mac Tips and More
Follow me on Twitter
QUOTE Thanks
technologist

technologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)

Browse Scanners Reviews | Macworld
QUOTE Thanks
skybolt

skybolt has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: White 2010 MB, Core 2 Duo, 8g RAM, iPhone 4S, iPad Mini, Apple TV

I second the Canon scanners. Have completed scanning about 35 gigs of old family photos using an LiDE 60 and the results are really good (considering the condition of the originals, of course). Has a great multi-scan feature where you can lay multiple photos on the platen and it will scan each into an individual file. Real time-saver.

Mary
QUOTE Thanks
walkerj

walkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nice
Mac Specs: 13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by skybolt View Post
I second the Canon scanners. Have completed scanning about 35 gigs of old family photos using an LiDE 60 and the results are really good (considering the condition of the originals, of course). Has a great multi-scan feature where you can lay multiple photos on the platen and it will scan each into an individual file. Real time-saver.
Aw, man my LiDE 20 doesn't do that. I can put multiple photos on the platen of course but I have to chop them up in Photoshop. Oh well, at least it works with my Macbook, and all my archival photo scanning has been long since completed with the little workhorse. Also Leopard seems to like to complain about it in the log files when it's plugged in for some reason.

Still a great (if older) scanner. Canon scanners good.
QUOTE Thanks
skybolt

skybolt has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: White 2010 MB, Core 2 Duo, 8g RAM, iPhone 4S, iPad Mini, Apple TV

Have you downloaded the latest CanoScan Toolbox for your scanner? That is where the option for multi-scan resides. It worked fine for my LiDE 25 (before I got this later scanner).

Mary
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« My preview in the finder is of original photo before edit and i want to get it back | Big Scanning Project »