New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Images, Graphic Design, and Digital Photography Discussion of all things graphics.

How are ya feelin' 'bout Adobe CS4??

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

psychodork

psychodork is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Black MB - 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo - 4 GB DDR2 SDRAM - OSX 10.5.8

I haven't upgraded yet... I'm a little reluctant. Anyone try it out?

I hear there are some compatibility issues between CS3 and CS4...
QUOTE Thanks
Arcadie

Arcadie is on a distinguished road

im happy enough with cs3, alot of designers are perfectly fine with 7.0.. i dont think i personally will be upgrading anytime soon.
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychodork View Post
I haven't upgraded yet... I'm a little reluctant. Anyone try it out?

I hear there are some compatibility issues between CS3 and CS4...
There are always compatibility issues between version. >_<" That's why when you save you get a dialogue box asking what version you want to save the file as. At least that's what happens when I save on CS3 for Illustrator.

You can do this more or less on the other Adobe applications, but you need to check the file format when you save.
QUOTE Thanks
Letter10

Letter10 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacPro|MacBooks|iPhones|iPods|iPad

i am still using CS2 and love it. i have not run into any needs that it can't handle...i probably won't upgrade until CS5 or 6.
QUOTE Thanks
MacBurg

MacBurg has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 15" 2.6Ghz | 200GB 7200 | 4GB Ram | 32GB iPod Touch 2G

I think its a shame, and a pain in the neck that Adobe haven't developed a better method to move up, or upgrade between versions. Everytime a new version comes out, I have to manually go through and copy all my presets, gradients, brushes, actions, workspaces & keyboard shortcuts, the list goes on... And I wont even start with the nightmare that is re-installing plug-ins.

For a very professional application that is used largely by a professional market, it is a very polished product now, however they have done nothing over the years to make it easy to upgrade to a new version.

I have upgraded to CS4 now, but still use CS3 80% of the time, as I don't have the time to copy over everything I mentioned above, and I'm still waiting for lot of plug-ins that see daily use to be compatible with CS4.

I do like CS4 though, the new interface is very slick, and once you have figured a few things out and created a new workspace, it is good to use.

Performance wise there is a noticable difference between CS3>CS4, it handles everything smoother and with speed. My main reason for upgrading so early were the improvements made to Bridge, as I use this daily for image management, and as in Photoshop, Bridge is now a joy to use.
QUOTE Thanks
eddielee

eddielee is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 20" iM ac,13.3" Aluminium Unibody Macbook, iPhone 4

I've just installed CS4.. I only really use Dreamweaver and Photoshop but both seem noticeable faster. Looks like the newish UI may take a few days to get used to...but it seems good.

Thanks, Eddie
Software Engineering Student, NTU
QUOTE Thanks
Serge

Serge is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro

I've heard that it's very different than CS3...
And quite frankly, I wouldn't bother switching any time soon. That's the thing with technology - just when you get used to what you have, boom.. something new hits.. But, I think CS3 is adequate for me. And like someone above mentioned, some people still use 7.0 and are happy with it.

I remember I used 7.0, and to be honest, the switch from 7.0 to CS2 was difficult. And the switch from CS2 to CS3 was even more difficult, lol.
QUOTE Thanks
psychodork

psychodork is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Black MB - 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo - 4 GB DDR2 SDRAM - OSX 10.5.8

I'll probably try CS4 eventually. I've been having some trouble with transparencies in Illustrator and InDesign. And Illustrator bugs out on me a lot... But I'm a spaz, so it's probably just me.

Seems too early for a new version, though... probably won't like it. I sort of hate Adobe.... feels like they rip everyone off big time >.<
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

There are other alternatives to Adobe if you look hard enough. The only reason why I even use adobe is because it's part of my job. Regardless of how we feel about CS4, it's the new thing that is out. Time to learn how to use it because if you don't you might find yourself out of a job.

Gotta love that. >_<"
QUOTE Thanks
eddielee

Any one else having trouble with CS4 activation? After about a week the activation like dies, and its taken several phone calls getting new serials... This one looks like its working tho

Thanks, Eddie
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

Quote:
Originally Posted by dudeking View Post
Any one else having trouble with CS4 activation? After about a week the activation like dies, and its taken several phone calls getting new serials... This one looks like its working tho
No never had that happened before. It might be because of those people that hack serial codes or what not, and adobe disabled those serial codes.
QUOTE Thanks
eddielee

Oh dam....well this serial seems to be working nicely now anyway

Thanks, Eddie
QUOTE Thanks
Mjc.americor

Mjc.americor will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 15.4" MacBook Pro 4GB 500GB 2.4Ghz

I got CS4 Master Collection And I love IT!

15.4" MacBook Pro Unibody
2.4GHz 4GB Ram and 500GB HD nVidia Geforce 9600
QUOTE Thanks
martyp

martyp is a jewel in the roughmartyp is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iMac 27" 5K, MBP 15" Retina, iPhone 6 128Gb, iPad Air 128Gb

I was gonna request an upgrade at work for it - then a co-worker installed the 30-day trial.

The UI is quite a bit different, the tabbed layout is a pain for what I do (compositing images, creating panoramics and general design) and I'm now more than happy to keep CS3.

Why change something thats worked so well for years now!?
QUOTE Thanks
eddielee

It's good when you get used to it, but I don't think the upgrade cost is worth the price..even with student discount its still like £180 to upgrade.

Thanks, Eddie
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Badfish @ Ram's Head Live! in Baltimore. | digital photo frame and Mac »