New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Images, Graphic Design, and Digital Photography Discussion of all things graphics.

non-intel iMac g5 vs. Mac Pro

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

gheller

gheller is on a distinguished road

OK, Newbie alert.

I am a freelance digital photographer who recently moved to Mac. I was running a shuttle that I built with lots of RAM and a 10K speed HD.

I got a used non-intel iMac G5 (2 GB RAM) and it is a DAWG. Just opening files in CS2 is maddening.

I am about to upgrade. Will the latest iMac packed with RAM make me happy or do I have to bite the bullet and go to a Mac Pro?

Also, where is the best place to purchase online aftermarket RAM?

Thanks so much in advance.

greg
QUOTE Thanks
Blizare

Blizare can only hope to improve
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 14gb ram 24" LED Cd & 23" Cd

how fast is the processor on the G5? Most are upgradable to 8 gb ram and that would help But if you ahve a slow processor an upgrade there mught be in order. Still less than a new imac. Or buy a 24" imac and you'll be happy enough. I open 750mb files on my imac at home with 4gb of ram. I cant render filters or effects. I save that for the dual processor mac pro 14gb ram. It does'nt stumble at all but it cost an arm and 3 fingers on the other hand.

Only when you understand why you dismiss all other gods, will you then realize why I dismiss yours

-MacPro-Macbook Air-IMac-Mac Mini-Powerbook Ti-
QUOTE Thanks
gheller

Thanks for the info.
QUOTE Thanks
gheller

Thanks to all

just returned from Apple store with my iMac 24" 2.8GHz machine. Will probably upgrade memory, but want to try as is first.

Nice thing about living in Hawaii: No 10% restocking fee (even if opened). Also, they are extending the return policy to Jan 4th (rather than standard 1 days).

Aloha!

greg
QUOTE Thanks
Nicoya

Nicoya is on a distinguished road

CS2 software on Intel won't be fast as CS3 or CS4 software. Just so you know.
QUOTE Thanks
gheller

thanks Nicoya. yeah, loading my first shots now and Bridge is faster loading thumbnails, but only marginally.

I guess i need to max out the RAM to see more difference.

greg
QUOTE Thanks
Nicoya

Nicoya is on a distinguished road

The problem isn't RAM in CS2 on Intel machines. CS2 was designed when Apple was still using PPC chips and before they switched to Intel. So CS2 is emulated on Intel chips and doesn't use them to their full extent.
For aftermarket RAM i recommend Newegg or Mwave. Many here may say OWC or Crucial but those same brands can be found cheaper at Newegg or Mwave on a consistent basis. I bought 4 gigs of RAM for my MBpro for $48 a few months ago.Also, note that upgrading your RAM past 4 gigs wont help unless you use 64 Bit software which neither CS2, CS3 or CS4 are on Macs or if you multitask heavily.
QUOTE Thanks
gheller

thanks so much again for the info

just ordered 4 gigs of OWC for $53 shipped so I guess I did OK.

greg
QUOTE Thanks
Arcadie

Arcadie is on a distinguished road

I takes me about 7-8 seconds to initially open a 5-6 MB PSD file (CS3) on my imac 2.0 with 1GB 667MHz of ram. usually i have about 30 different smaller PSD files open with one main large PSD file and i never really have a problem with speed.Sometime i do get the beachball for a second when saving a file with that many open.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« .jpgs Edited in ACDSEE Not Compatible on Mac | Color swatch wont delete (InDesign CS3) »