Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Specs:
    2.53Ghz Macbook Pro
    .jpgs Edited in ACDSEE Not Compatible on Mac
    I need some help with files that my wife edited on her Windows machine using AcdSee. The edited files keep coming up with compatibility errors in preview, won't display in iPhoto and Aperture 2.

What's worse is I 'switched' my wife to a Mac over the weekend with the promise of compatibility and stability. She agreed, under duress, so long as the transition would be easy and painless. So far her JPGs aren't compatible and 10.5 has crashed several times....needless to say she's been studying the styrafoam packaging to determine how to put it back in the box and return the iMac....Thus I need a FAST resolution to save egg on my face and keep me from burning one weekend a month cleaning virii and spyware from the XP machine. HELP!

Specs:
    iMac 2010 27" QuadI7 OSX10.11, iMac 2008 OSX10.11, MBP Late2011OSX10.11 , iPad Air, iPhone 3GS
    That really makes no sense as I used to use AcdSee on the pc and all my pics that I have ever looked at worked fine. Will check around and see what I can find.

Specs:
    2.53Ghz Macbook Pro
    HELP!! Switched wife from Windows....JPGs not Compatible
    Original Post Here I posted this in the Photogaphy section but it's also a "switcher" issue. Can those experienced with JPGs edited on a Windows machine click the link and offer some advice?

Thanks.

Specs:
    MacBook
    NOTE: Merged crossposts

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
    MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
    Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

Specs:
    15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD
    Quote Originally Posted by dtravis7 View Post
    That really makes no sense as I used to use AcdSee on the pc and all my pics that I have ever looked at worked fine. Will check around and see what I can find.
    dtravis7 - I haven't used ACDSEE in years, but one thought came to mind. Is it possible that ACDSEE might tack on a secondary extension to files that are edited - and maybe OS X doesn't display the extension as it thinks it's a known file type? Just a shot in the dark - doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me either.
    Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!

https://youtu.be/KHZ8ek-6ccc

Specs:
    iMac 2010 27" QuadI7 OSX10.11, iMac 2008 OSX10.11, MBP Late2011OSX10.11 , iPad Air, iPhone 3GS
    CWA, good point. It's been a long time for me also with using it. Worth a check for sure.

Specs:
    2.53Ghz Macbook Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by cwa107 View Post
    dtravis7 - I haven't used ACDSEE in years, but one thought came to mind. Is it possible that ACDSEE might tack on a secondary extension to files that are edited - and maybe OS X doesn't display the extension as it thinks it's a known file type? Just a shot in the dark - doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me either.
    I do know that my wife generally edits the landscape/portrait orientations and then deletes the optional "save original". Could it be that it tags the edited file with additional information (not understandable by anything other than Acdesee) if for some manner the user chooses to undo? The additional tagging may in fact be code that links-back to the original? The edited version is fully viewable in Windows, however, without AcdSee.

Specs:
    I have to leave but when I return I will download AcDsee and edit a pic and get back to you.

Specs:
    2.53Ghz Macbook Pro
    I have to leave but when I return I will download AcDsee and edit a pic and get back to you.
    I think its an older version of AcdSee. Maybe I can upload it here (one of the photos in question, that is...)?

Specs:
    Quote Originally Posted by MilenkoD View Post
    I do know that my wife generally edits the landscape/portrait orientations and then deletes the optional "save original". Could it be that it tags the edited file with additional information (not understandable by anything other than Acdesee) if for some manner the user chooses to undo? The additional tagging may in fact be code that links-back to the original? The edited version is fully viewable in Windows, however, without AcdSee.
    Are the file extensions .JPG?
    Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!

Specs:
    Quote Originally Posted by MilenkoD View Post
    I think its an older version of AcdSee. Maybe I can upload it here (one of the photos in question, that is...)?
    Hmmm... maybe you can attach one of the suspect files?

download and try Xee

that might be able to view and re-save the images.
    Please participate in our Member of the Month polls. Every vote counts! And remember to use the user reputation system!
    ["Dear Homer, I. O. U. one emergency donut. Signed, Homer." - Note by Homer Simpson]

Specs:
    2.53Ghz Macbook Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by cwa107 View Post
    Hmmm... maybe you can attach one of the suspect files?
    OK...now that I'm back at home...I've taken a closer look at the files. They seen normal but definitely something odd is occurring.

First of all, all these files still reside on my wife's old laptop. I've set-up the folders to be shared in XP and hard-connected the ethernet port of the laptop to my AEBS.

When I connect though Finder, some of the files just show that they are JPGs (via the appropriate "JPG" text across the icon) while others are thumbnail icons of the actual photo.
    So I thought that I would copy them over to the iMac to work with them locally. Here's where it gets odd....The files that show as thumbnails copied over fine while the others (as "JPG" icons) copied over as 0KB files with a pop-up saying I didn't have the necessary permissions to view/edit the files.

A.) Why would some of the files be OK (permission-wise) while others not?
    B.) How do I unlock those un-permissioned files so I can work with them.

I suspect that viewing them has nothing to do with AcdSee but file permissions.

Specs:
    I downloaded the 7 Day trial of the latest AcDsee. I edited a pic in the editor and added text to the pic. Saved it and logged into the PC with my iMac with 10.5.5. Picture had a preview and works perfectly in Preview.

Not sure what is going on. Do try Xee like Eric suggested and see if they show up. If Xee does not show them then it might be a permission issue. It works here.

Good luck and keep us posted!

Just curious, what OS is on her PC? XP? Vista?

Specs:
    2.53Ghz Macbook Pro
    I downloaded the 7 Day trial of the latest AcDsee. I edited a pic in the editor and added text to the pic. Saved it and logged into the PC with my iMac with 10.5.5. Picture had a preview and works perfectly in Preview.

Not sure what is going on. Do try Xee like Eric suggested and see if they show up. If Xee does not show them then it might be a permission issue. It works here.

Good luck and keep us posted!

Just curious, what OS is on her PC? XP? Vista?
    yes it seems to be a permission issue. See my post #13 above.

Thread Information