New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Ľ Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Ľ Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Images, Graphic Design, and Digital Photography Discussion of all things graphics.

Using Preview to resize an image

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

rsherid

rsherid is infamous around these parts
Mac Specs: 13" MBP - 2.7 Ghz, Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM.

I'm using Preview to adjust the size of a scanned 5x7. I went into the settings and adjusted it as such (5x7 inches, not pixels) and when I printed it out it took up the whole page! I need it exactly 5x7 so why isn't it printing as such?
QUOTE Thanks
BlueMac

BlueMac is a jewel in the roughBlueMac is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 20" iMac 2.66 GHz... Running 10.5.7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsherid View Post
I'm using Preview to adjust the size of a scanned 5x7. I went into the settings and adjusted it as such (5x7 inches, not pixels) and when I printed it out it took up the whole page! I need it exactly 5x7 so why isn't it printing as such?
You need 5x7 paper.

Flickr

Last.fm
Si, hablo Espa˝ol. Oui, je parle franšais. Yes, I speak English.
QUOTE Thanks
rsherid

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueMac View Post
You need 5x7 paper.
I'm using 8x11 paper, which means a 5x7 should fit. The thing is the dimensions here are not 5x7 like I specified -- instead they span almost the entire 8x11 sheet of paper.
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

Probably because there's a setting that is set to take an image and span the entire page rather than print it at 100%. Are you printing straight from Preview?

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
BlueMac

BlueMac is a jewel in the roughBlueMac is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 20" iMac 2.66 GHz... Running 10.5.7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsherid View Post
I'm using 8x11 paper, which means a 5x7 should fit. The thing is the dimensions here are not 5x7 like I specified -- instead they span almost the entire 8x11 sheet of paper.
Resizing in preview will only make the image SMALLER... the dimensions smaller, that is. You'd have to manually change the print settings.

Flickr

Last.fm
Si, hablo Espa˝ol. Oui, je parle franšais. Yes, I speak English.
QUOTE Thanks
rsherid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kash View Post
Probably because there's a setting that is set to take an image and span the entire page rather than print it at 100%. Are you printing straight from Preview?
Yes, straight from Preview
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future

BlueMac is exactly where I was going with this. When you hit Print, the default setting is to scale the image to fit the page. What you want to do is hit the little down arrow next to Printer, and then go down to where it says Scale to fit and select Scale instead. With the number set to 100%, it should print the actual size of the image rather than fit it to the entire sheet.

Also, if you want to cut it out, then uncheck Center Image as well, it's a lot easier to cut a picture when it's against a side and not smack in the middle.

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
rsherid

Quote:
BlueMac is exactly where I was going with this. When you hit Print, the default setting is to scale the image to fit the page. What you want to do is hit the little down arrow next to Printer, and then go down to where it says Scale to fit and select Scale instead. With the number set to 100%, it should print the actual size of the image rather than fit it to the entire sheet.

Also, if you want to cut it out, then uncheck Center Image as well, it's a lot easier to cut a picture when it's against a side and not smack in the middle.
Just when I thought I had it set up perfectly with your help, I re-scanned it as a TIFF for high quality, followed your instructions (which had previously worked in test runs), and now it's printing even BIGGER than the 8x5 paper. Is it because I changed it to TIFF quality?
QUOTE Thanks
rsherid

Bump (sorry)
QUOTE Thanks
bigmof

bigmof is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Black MacBook with Leopard! YAY!

When you scanned it, did it scan larger than 5x7?

What I mean is, did it make the image larger when it scanned?

QUOTE Thanks
rsherid

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmof View Post
When you scanned it, did it scan larger than 5x7?

What I mean is, did it make the image larger when it scanned?
Yes, when it scans, it scans in huge, but I thought I could re-size it.
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Try saving the original as a JPEG, resize, and then print as per the instructions I provided above.

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
rsherid

Quote:
Try saving the original as a JPEG, resize, and then print as per the instructions I provided above.
Still huge

Edit: I ended up printing the photo in Photoshop and it came out fine.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« data recovery | How can i blend pictures? »