New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Images, Graphic Design, and Digital Photography Discussion of all things graphics.

Struggling with iphoto library

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

charly1979

charly1979 is on a distinguished road

Help! I'm new to mac and I don't like the library thing in iphoto.

When I modify something in iphoto, is it possible to have it impacted (and if possible automatically) in the ORIGINAL file ?

If not, is there a good alternative to iphoto, something similar to picasa ?
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

Not sure what you mean it impacting the original file since that's exactly what iPhoto does when you make any changes to photos within the library.

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
skybolt

skybolt has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: White 2010 MB, Core 2 Duo, 8g RAM, iPhone 4S, iPad Mini, Apple TV

iPhoto keeps the original so that, down the road, you can go back to square one and re-edit your photo. One thing that you should never do is access your photos from within the library in finder. Do anything to/with your photos from within the app. That is what iPhoto is for -- organizing and viewing ones photos -- and it does it brilliantly! If you only access the photos in the app, you won't need to worry about "originals" etc until and unless you need them for something. Let the app work for you, don't try to micromanage it.

Mary
QUOTE Thanks
charly1979

Thanks. I see the point, what I'll do is modify inside my library then export the files. A bit too complicated though.
QUOTE Thanks
zombie1210

zombie1210 is an unknown at this point

ur doin it rong.
QUOTE Thanks
charly1979

Alright, then how do you put a file which has been modified by iphoto on a usb key ? if you answer "export file", that's what I do.
QUOTE Thanks
skybolt

skybolt has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: White 2010 MB, Core 2 Duo, 8g RAM, iPhone 4S, iPad Mini, Apple TV

You can export it, yes, and that will allow you to choose what size you want for your photo. Or, you can drag and drop from iPhoto to a mounted USB key.

Mary
QUOTE Thanks
charly1979

Good to know. Thks a lot guys!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« The official "what camera/ lens should I get?" thread! | Logo - Need Help »