New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Images, Graphic Design, and Digital Photography Discussion of all things graphics.

"Quite Unexpectedly"

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Nevermore

Nevermore is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4GHz 320GB 4GB Ram ATI Radeon HD 2600 PRO with 256MB memory

I have been running CS4 with no problems for over a month. As of a few days ago, when I lauch CS4, I get the beachball. I force a quit, relaunch and all is well. When I quit from that successful relaunch, I get a warning that Photoshop quit unexpectedly--of course, from my point of view there was nothing unexpected about it. I have run Onyx, restarted etc. I have read the report but it means nothing to me:

Process: Adobe Photoshop CS4 [161]
Path: /Applications/Adobe Photoshop CS4/Adobe Photoshop CS4.app/Contents/MacOS/Adobe Photoshop CS4
Identifier: com.adobe.Photoshop
Version: 11.0 (11.0x20080919 [20080919.r.488 2008/09/19:02:00:00 cutoff; r branch]) (11.0)
Code Type: X86 (Native)
Parent Process: launchd [92]

Date/Time: 2008-11-22 06:49:06.936 -0500
OS Version: Mac OS X 10.5.5 (9F33)
Report Version: 6

Exception Type: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGBUS)
Exception Codes: KERN_PROTECTION_FAILURE at 0x0000000000000020
Crashed Thread: 0

I have recently installed the trial version of Nik Effects--this is the only new thing I can think of. I have full backups (both Time Machine and Super Duper).

Can anyone give me a clue what I should do? Reinstall CS4? Delete Nik Effects? As of now, it works, I just have to lauch twice and put up with the erroneous quit warning but I would like to get to the bottom of this.
QUOTE Thanks
True Bassist

True Bassist is a jewel in the roughTrue Bassist is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MBP/2.53GHz i5/4GB RAM/500GB HDD/15" LED Screen/Intel HD Graphics & NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M

Get rid of Nik Effects - as you said this is the only new thing and could be messing things up.
QUOTE Thanks
Nevermore

Nevermore is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4GHz 320GB 4GB Ram ATI Radeon HD 2600 PRO with 256MB memory

your instincts were correct. I have removed Nik effects and there is no problem. Thank you (even if it wasn't the answer I wanted). Now I will write to them. Their website states it is CS4 compatible with Macs but I am wondering if they need to tweak it. I have my heart set on buying this, wish it was an "easy purchase", ha! Again, thank you for the nudge in the right direction.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Riverdance font | RAW files and Aperture 2.0 »