New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Images, Graphic Design, and Digital Photography Discussion of all things graphics.

What .dwg Viewer Do You Use?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Jaygray

Jaygray is a jewel in the roughJaygray is a jewel in the roughJaygray is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Unibody MacBook Pro 2.26, 4gb RAM, 500gb HD

I'm looking for a Freeware/Shareware Autocad .dwg viewer which will allow you to measure dimensions/line lengths etc.

Anyone know of anything free/cheap with this ability?

I have Autocad, but not all of my co-workers do. Many of them would benefit from occasionally being able to open a cad file and take some quick takeoffs. They don't do it often enough to justify the cost of the Autocad licenses. There are plenty of free viewers out there, but I'm specifically looking for one that can take measurements to determine square footages, etc.

I'm looking for solutions for in both Windows and OS X...
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

What you're looking for is an on screen take-off tool.

Am not aware of any freeware that allows this capability unless you're a member of whatever online planroom may be in your area.
Here in Dallas it's ISqFt and use to be CIN.

There are a few good pieces of software for this, but anything beyond a trial period is going to run you $750 or more per machine.
On Center is one, we use Vertigraph and digitizers.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
Jaygray

Jaygray is a jewel in the roughJaygray is a jewel in the roughJaygray is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Unibody MacBook Pro 2.26, 4gb RAM, 500gb HD

For viewing drawings in OS X, I really like Solidworks free eDrawings Viewer. I have autocad and actually prefer to use eDrawings if I just need to take a quick look at something. It opens them lightning quick and is as basic to use as Acrobat viewer.

The only thing it's missing is the ability to select two points and calculate the distance between them.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Iphoto and Aperture Question | picture organization »