New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Ľ Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Ľ Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Images, Graphic Design, and Digital Photography Discussion of all things graphics.

For those confused about aperture and shutter speed.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

BlueMac

BlueMac is a jewel in the roughBlueMac is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 20" iMac 2.66 GHz... Running 10.5.7

What is Aperture? Intro to lesson.

This is a very common question among novices and amateurs alike. Isn't it about time someone puts it in simpleton terms anyone can understand?

OK, but how does the aperture size affect my photos?

Again, a very common question. Aperture will affect your photos in two ways:

-How bright or dark your photo is-

-How shallow or deep your DOF (Depth of Field) is (we will not cover that in this lesson)-

Let's talk about how it affects the brightness of your shots. Aperture rates are shown in units called 'â-numbers'. What the purpose of the â-number is is to show us the diameter of the 'diaphragm' in the lens, which means the opening in the back of the lens. The diaphragm allows the light into the camera's sensor or film, depending on if you use a film or digital camera. This creates the image. The higher the â-number, the less light allowed onto the sensor or film, thus determining the brightness of the photo. Yes, the higher the lower. It is a confusing system, yes, but just don't let it mess you up. The standard aperture range on an SLR camera (digital or film) is â/1.4, the highest aperture, to the lowest aperture, â/8. The settings in between â/1.4 and â/8, known as â-stops, are usually â/2, â/2.8, â/4, â/5.6. Aperture alone does not determine how the photo will come out, though. The other element is shutter speed, meaning how quickly the photograph is taken... and how much light is allowed in. But I thought aperture controlled that? It does. Lets get into detail (We can't explain aperture without talking about shutter speed!)

Shutter Speed In Detail:

Shutter speed dictates how long the shutter is open, which in turn means how much light is in the picture (how bright it is). Aperture determines the brightness of the light that comes in. You may need to read this paragraph over a few times, and think about it for it to make sense. The reason we need to talk about shutter speed in a lesson about aperture is simple: there is no avoiding them both when taking a photo manually. So, lets get started.

What's my shutter speed gonna do?

Your shutter speed will determine how long your shutter will stay open. Most cameras have a maximum shutter speed of anywhere from 15 seconds up to 30 seconds. You have probably heard of the term "long exposure" before. A long exposure is normally considered a shutter speed of 1/50 of a second, meaning half a second. Some shutter speeds considered long exposures are 1/60, 1", 3", 5", etc. If you want a sharp image, you need a tripod. To get an exposure above the preset setting on your camera's maximum setting (usually 15"-30") you will need to have a "bulb" mode. For a bulb mode, you will need a cable release, which can be set in the cable release socket on a film SLR or the hotshoe terminal on a digital SLR. You can have an exposure for however long your heart desires. This is especially useful when you want to do photos like star trails, because you can't get star trails with a 3" exposure. All this talk about long exposures, and no fast shutter speed discussion? Well lets talk about that now. Anything below 1/50 is considered a fast shutter speed. Examples of fast shutter speeds are 1/40, 1/1000, 1/400, and 1/2000. Most normal SLR's fastest shutter speed is 1/2000. If you took a photo at 1/2000 then the shutter would be open for 1/2000 of a second, allowing 1/2000's worth of light in. You will have a somewhat dark image at this speed, because 1/2000 will not allow as much light in as a longer would, such as 1" would. Here is an easy way to remember that: the higher the exposure, the more light that can enter the sensor or film, the shorter the speed, the less light. But, the quicker the shutter speed the quicker the picture is taken, meaning that moving subjects can be easily captured.

I hope this helps some of you!

Flickr

Last.fm
Si, hablo Espa˝ol. Oui, je parle franšais. Yes, I speak English.
QUOTE Thanks
michaelmjc

michaelmjc will become famous soon enough

Great write up! covers all the basics.
QUOTE Thanks
RNDdave

RNDdave is a jewel in the roughRNDdave is a jewel in the roughRNDdave is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Alu MacBook | iPod Classic | iPod Shuffle | iPad2 (3G)

nice, when is part 2 coming
QUOTE Thanks
lifeafter2am

lifeafter2am is a jewel in the roughlifeafter2am is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro Unibody

Excellent write up! Great for the newbs!

masakatsu agatsu

@lifeafter2am
QUOTE Thanks
BlueMac

Quote:
Originally Posted by RNDdave View Post
nice, when is part 2 coming
Part two, hmm... I think I will cover Depth of Field.

Thanks for the positive feedback, guys.

Flickr

Last.fm
QUOTE Thanks
Del

Del has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 2xQuad core 2.8GHZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueMac View Post

OK, but how does the aperture size affect my photos?

-How bright or dark your photo is-

Ummmm actually this is misleading, the amount of light in your photo is determined by three variables (ISO, Shutter speed and Aperture) and not just aperture on its own.
QUOTE Thanks
B&O

B&O has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MBP i7, Mac Mini & iPhone 3G.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueMac View Post
Part two, hmm... I think I will cover Depth of Field.

Thanks for the positive feedback, guys.
I know that stuff but useful nonetheless especially considering I am about to take up photography again (after camera was killed a few months after I started last year).

I am looking forward to PT2.

MacBook Pro 2.66Ghz i7. Mac Mini 2.26Ghz C2D
iPhone 3G 16GB iPad 3G 64GB
Check out my flickr
QUOTE Thanks
BlueMac

Part 2 is now up.

Flickr

Last.fm
QUOTE Thanks
eric

eric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Del View Post
Ummmm actually this is misleading, the amount of light in your photo is determined by three variables (ISO, Shutter speed and Aperture) and not just aperture on its own.
agreed, i would say (specifically regarding light and not depth of field), aperture regulates the amount of light allowed through a given lens regardless of shutter speed.

Please participate in our Member of the Month polls. Every vote counts! And remember to use the user reputation system!
["Dear Homer, I. O. U. one emergency donut. Signed, Homer." - Note by Homer Simpson]
QUOTE Thanks
rocketman766

rocketman766 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MBP 17" Glossy 2.16 gHz/2gig/320g

This thread is EXACTLY the type of thing I need. Thanks, even if I have to read it a few times...

QUOTE Thanks
rocketman766

rocketman766 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MBP 17" Glossy 2.16 gHz/2gig/320g

Ok, I have a question about lighting. If I am taking pics of my daughter Cheerleading team at a competition, I will likely be in an area not very well lit, but she will be on brightly lit stage. Do I set the camera for the lighting where I am or where she will be? I am thinking I will be using a fast setting on the shutter speed so I can catch the tumbling and flips with no blurring. Her first competition in New Years Eve so I will get to try out my new camera then.

QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

This is sticky-worthy, in my opinion...

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
BlueMac

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketman766 View Post
Ok, I have a question about lighting. If I am taking pics of my daughter Cheerleading team at a competition, I will likely be in an area not very well lit, but she will be on brightly lit stage. Do I set the camera for the lighting where I am or where she will be? I am thinking I will be using a fast setting on the shutter speed so I can catch the tumbling and flips with no blurring. Her first competition in New Years Eve so I will get to try out my new camera then.
First, let me say thanks for the sticky, cwa107.

Here is an answer to your question, rocketman. You will have to set the aperture and shutter speed for were your daughter will be, since you will be taking photos of her on the stage. Good luck, please post the results!

Flickr

Last.fm
QUOTE Thanks
Jordanjez193

Jordanjez193 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook 2.2 ghz, iPhone 3G, And g5 iMac

Excellent Post
QUOTE Thanks
m3h

m3h is on a distinguished road

Thank u so much... this was quite describing and clearing my doubts....
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Copying photos from the web to iphoto | More Shore, for sure »