New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Ľ Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Ľ Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Images, Graphic Design, and Digital Photography Discussion of all things graphics.

DSLR + dark shot w/ LED light

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

getuptogetdown

getuptogetdown is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" Matte Macbook Pro 2.5Ghz 4gb RAM 250gb HD, 60gb iPod Classic maxed, iPod shuffle

Hi everyone...I am new to the use of DRLR and i was experimenting with holding an LED light in a pitch black room and putting my camera on a tripod and opening then lens for about 10 seconds. It looks cool and I can write because it absorbs all that light...but it is extremely out of focus....how do i go about fixing this so its in focus?

thanks!

Loving my MBP more and more everyday
QUOTE Thanks
lifeafter2am

lifeafter2am is a jewel in the roughlifeafter2am is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro Unibody

The easiest way is to usually set the aperture as low as it will go, this will make much more of the shot in focus (f/22 or something like that). Normally you would need a longer shot for this, but with light-writing it's not usually a problem.

Also, try and pre-focus on something with the light on.

masakatsu agatsu

@lifeafter2am
QUOTE Thanks
BlueMac

BlueMac is a jewel in the roughBlueMac is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 20" iMac 2.66 GHz... Running 10.5.7

Aperture is simply the size of the hole that lets the light in, it won't directly affect the focus. Put an object right where you will be standing, and focus (of course you should have the light on. Then open shutter and shoot. Good luck.

Can you provide us with the result, too?

Flickr

Last.fm
Si, hablo Espa˝ol. Oui, je parle franšais. Yes, I speak English.
QUOTE Thanks
lifeafter2am

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueMac View Post
Aperture is simply the size of the hole that lets the light in, it won't directly affect the focus. Put an object right where you will be standing, and focus (of course you should have the light on. Then open shutter and shoot. Good luck.

Can you provide us with the result, too?
ARE YOU KIDDING??? Aperture affects the DOF, with a smaller aperture there is a large DOF, which in turn gives a larger range of focus. Which in this case is perfect because there is no exact location for focus.

masakatsu agatsu

@lifeafter2am
QUOTE Thanks
BlueMac

BlueMac is a jewel in the roughBlueMac is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 20" iMac 2.66 GHz... Running 10.5.7

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeafter2am View Post
ARE YOU KIDDING??? Aperture affects the DOF, with a smaller aperture there is a large DOF, which in turn gives a larger range of focus. Which in this case is perfect because there is no exact location for focus.
Shutter speed is more dominant with DOF. However, he is attempting to have an even focus, so DOF won't matter here.

OP:
Set your focus range to infinity, lowest focal length. Mess around with different aperture and shutter speed combos... you will see for yourself what different combos look like, and witness it all firsthand.

Flickr

Last.fm
Si, hablo Espa˝ol. Oui, je parle franšais. Yes, I speak English.
QUOTE Thanks
lifeafter2am

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueMac View Post
Shutter speed is more dominant with DOF. However, he is attempting to have an even focus, so DOF won't matter here.

OP:
Set your focus range to infinity, lowest focal length. Mess around with different aperture and shutter speed combos... you will see for yourself what different combos look like, and witness it all firsthand.
Not to argue with you here, but you are dead wrong. I shot professionally for a number of years, DOF has nothing to do with shutter speed, except that the aperture controls what shutter speed you use. I would be more than happy to provide 100's of articles that state this. Shutter speed controls stopping of action, motion blur, etc, but does not control the actual depth of field, that is all aperture.

Quote:
Aperture and Depth of Field (DOF)

We mentioned this above but feel it is important enough to repeat in its own paragraph.

The Depth of Field is the distance wherein objects are in focus.

There are times when you desire a great depth of field, i.e. where objects both close to you and far from you are in focus. This is especially true when you are taking a landscape picture and want as much as possible to be in crisp focus.

Then there are times when you want to isolate your subject, as when you are taking a portrait and want your subject to be in sharp focus but the background to be out of focus. In this case, you desire a shallow depth of field.

One way to influence DOF is by selecting the appropriate aperture.

The rule of thumb is this:

Select a large aperture (or small f/value or small aperture value), e.g. f/2.8, to obtain a shallow DOF
Select a small aperture (or large f/value or large aperture value), e.g. f/8.0, to achieve great DOF

masakatsu agatsu

@lifeafter2am
QUOTE Thanks
AConfire

AConfire will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Not to argue with you here, but you are dead wrong. I shot professionally for a number of years, DOF has nothing to do with shutter speed, except that the aperture controls what shutter speed you use. I would be more than happy to provide 100's of articles that state this. Shutter speed controls stopping of action, motion blur, etc, but does not control the actual depth of field, that is all aperture.
Lifeafter2am is completely right.

Also, don't set your focus to infinity. If the lights are going to be 5 feet away from you, they'll be out of focus.

Pre-focus on the area that you will be shining the light, then set your shutter speed for whatever time you need to shine the light, and you're done.

View my photography blog Here!
QUOTE Thanks
getuptogetdown

Mac Specs: 15" Matte Macbook Pro 2.5Ghz 4gb RAM 250gb HD, 60gb iPod Classic maxed, iPod shuffle

Even though you say not to do this...how do i go about setting my focus to infinity anyways??

And...I tried setting my aperture as high as i could with a 10 second shutter speed and also tried focusing on the light i would be holding (its a flashing ball), and the image is still coming out really blurry.

QUOTE Thanks
Village Idiot

Village Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Sooper Fast!

Use f/11. If you use the smallest aperture, then it can cause IQ issues. Prefocus with a broom or something. Regardless of what camera you own, you should be able to set the AF to a seperate button. That or focus on where you're going to be writing and turn the AF off so when you press the shutter halfway down, the camera doesn't try to AF.

Post some examples up. It really helps us help you if we're seeing why your pictures are turning out crappy.

Chaotic Evil, Level 1 IT-Tech

Slough Roast Blog
Capitol Sound Blog
QUOTE Thanks
Del

Del has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 2xQuad core 2.8GHZ

focus the lens with the room light on, flick the switch over to manual focus, turn the room light off, turn on your led light, take the shot
QUOTE Thanks
getuptogetdown

Still can't get a great shot...I will try to post a picture in the next day or so

QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

Quote:
Whew.. thank you for seeing this earlier

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks
Village Idiot

Village Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Sooper Fast!

Quote:
Sensor size, focal length, and relative distances all play a factor in DOF.

Chaotic Evil, Level 1 IT-Tech

Slough Roast Blog
Capitol Sound Blog
QUOTE Thanks
lifeafter2am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Village Idiot View Post
Correct, but not shutter speed. lol.

masakatsu agatsu

@lifeafter2am
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Village Idiot View Post
and all are really only relevant in comparison to aperture.

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Weather Proof DSLR ? | The Mecklenburg Inn menu. »