JPEG picture editor (with text)
    Since I upgraded to OS X I haven't been able to find a good picture editor. On my old mac I used PhotoStudio, but I'm not talking about editing photos. I like to make cases for my DVD-R's. I put JPEG's together with text. Does anyone know a good program for doing this?
    I need to be able to open a canvas that's the right size (10 1/4" by 7 1/2" i think), open/paste JPEG's, rotate images, make images transparent to use as backgrounds and overlay text. Everything I find is designed for photo editing. I looked at GIMP but it seemed overly complicated. I guess I'll try it again, but if anybody has any other suggestions I'd appreciate it.
    And of course the cheaper (i.e. free-er) it is, the better.
    - kit.

i'm trying GIMP, and I think it can definitely do what I want. However, I can't figure out how to change the font or the size of the text.
    Any help? (The online help manual isn't too helpful--that's why I wasn't eager to try GIMP in the first place).

Kent, UK
    2013 MacBook Air i5 13" / 2014 MacBook Air i5 11" / iMac C2D 2.16 GHz 20" / iMac G5 1.6 GHz 17"
    OK, in the Toolbox in the left window, click on the 'T' icon to select text tool.
    At the bottom of the Toolbox all the options will appear; there you can easily select a font / size / colour.
    I've just tried it myself so if you're having difficulty there may be another problem somewhere.

Hope this helps - please let us know

2x MacMINIs, 1 MBPro - 17-inch

As an alternative (inexpensive but not free) take a look at PIXELMATOR.

Thanks for the help. I had no idea the toolbox was that big! Mine was sitting at the bottom of the screen and I didn't realize there were all those options under the tool selection part of the window.

Thread Information