New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Images, Graphic Design, and Digital Photography Discussion of all things graphics.

aperture question

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Chris57701

Chris57701 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Unibody MBP 15"

ive watched the training videos on apples site and Ive done alittle google searching but I cant find what im looking for so I thought Id ask here.

I want to use aperture to organize and edit my pictures. I dont want it to completely copy my library like it tried to do originally. I dont really understand what aperture does when you "import folders as projects" but it seems like it copies all your pictures and organizes them into its own library format. I already have 20Gb's of pictures, I would prefer aperture not take up another 20 gigs of space copying everything.

Ive been using lightroom and I like the way it uses your existing library without copying everything, can I do the same with aperture?
QUOTE Thanks
Bluegrass

Bluegrass will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2.4Ghz, 4GB memory, 160GB hard drive, Leopard, 20" Widescreen Samsung Display

Yes, when you do an import you can choose where the originals are stored. Aperture will either leave them where they are on you hard drive or you can choose to have Aperture import them into its library. It also will allow any mix of the two as well, as each import you can decide.
QUOTE Thanks
Peakoverload

Peakoverload has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 27" iMac 3.1Ghz 16GB RAM, 1TB HD. iPhone 4.

Yes. You want to create a REFERENCED Library. I don't have Aperture in front of me but the Help files do explain how to do this. This is the type of library that I have and it works fine.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Does anyone have a solution to this problem (iPhoto and blurry thumbnails) | lightroom or aperture? »