New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Images, Graphic Design, and Digital Photography Discussion of all things graphics.

Firewire CF card reader vs USB 2.0 - which is faster?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

wrightm

wrightm is an unknown at this point

Hello,
I have a USB 2.0 card reader and I believe that it is faulty. It is taking longer than usual to download my CF cards..so I am looking to buy a new reader.
I have noticed that the firewire card readers are far more expensive than the USB 2.0 readers.
Is the Firewire reader that much faster?
Would should the average download times be of a 2GB CF card with a USB2.0?
How about with Firewire?

What is a good price for a firewire card reader these days?
thx,
Micah
QUOTE Thanks
mac57

mac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, 256 GB SSD, 2 TB HDD, 8 GB RAM

I have found that Firewire anything is usually faster than the USB2.0 equivalent, but in this case, your camera card may be the limiting factor. It doesn't matter if your link is super speedy if the card itself is slow. My advice? Go for the USB2.0 one.

My Macs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, Mac Pro 3.2 GHz, PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 GHz, G4 Cube with 1.2 GHz Upgrade
My iStuff: 64GB iPhone 5, 64GB iPad4, 30GB iPod Video, 16GB iPod Touch
My OS': Mac OS X Lion, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Mac OS X Tiger, Mac OS 9.2.2, openSUSE 10.3
I was on the Mac-Forums honor roll for September 2007
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« PhotoBooth problem | Free Photo Editing Software? »