New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Images, Graphic Design, and Digital Photography Discussion of all things graphics.

Image Viewing Software

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

diffuser78

diffuser78 is on a distinguished road

Hi,

I recently moved from Ubuntu Linux to Mac OS X 10.5 (mac book pro). I have felt the need for a lightweight image viewing software in OS X.

I have 25 GB of photos which I stored /User/daniel/Pictures.

If I import them to iPhoto, iPhoto creates an extra copy in its own folder, meaning that two copies of the same photos exist. (Am I right in assuming this ..please correct me if I wrong ).

If I open a folder with lots of photos, I want an ability to just view one pic and then after do a slide show type of thing. There are bunch of software in Linux and pretty sure that max has too. Its just that I don't know them.

Please advise me to overcome this problem of managing my photos of 25 GB.

Many Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
05GT

05GT will become famous soon enough

There is an option under preferences for iPhoto. Uncheck the box that copies imported photos to the iPhoto library. This is why you're getting duplicates.

-13.3 Macbook Pro Retina / 64GB iP5 / 16GB iPad Mini
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

Quote:
Originally Posted by diffuser78 View Post
If I open a folder with lots of photos, I want an ability to just view one pic and then after do a slide show type of thing. There are bunch of software in Linux and pretty sure that max has too. Its just that I don't know them...
You can't do that in Preview?
QUOTE Thanks
diffuser78

So can it be done using iPhoto ,i.e. open a picture in a folder and enable slide show. I have a strong feeling that there should be something in mac, (either in iPhoto or some other app).

Any comments.. ?
QUOTE Thanks
mac57

mac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, 256 GB SSD, 2 TB HDD, 8 GB RAM

Hi diffuser78, I believe that what you want is Xee, a nice image viewer along the lines of Linux's feh or qiv - you can open an arbitrary image in a folder of images and then navigate back and forth through other images as you like.

You may also wish to see JustLooking, which I mention in this thread. It has similar attributes, and in addition is color space aware, as Preview is.

I agree with you - I don't like either Preview or iPhoto for routine image viewing, but then I came to Mac from Linux as well.

Since you are a convert from Linux, you may wish to see my Linux to Mac Switchers Guide. I haven't updated it in a year or so now, but it is still pretty relevant to the recent switcher. Enjoy!

My Macs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, Mac Pro 3.2 GHz, PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 GHz, G4 Cube with 1.2 GHz Upgrade
My iStuff: 64GB iPhone 5, 64GB iPad4, 30GB iPod Video, 16GB iPod Touch
My OS': Mac OS X Lion, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Mac OS X Tiger, Mac OS 9.2.2, openSUSE 10.3
I was on the Mac-Forums honor roll for September 2007
QUOTE Thanks
MacBurg

MacBurg has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 15" 2.6Ghz | 200GB 7200 | 4GB Ram | 32GB iPod Touch 2G

Haven't got my Mac with me at the moment but from memory you can select a bunch of images in finder, open them in preview, then hit CMND+F for a fullscreen slideshow.
QUOTE Thanks
diffuser78

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBurg View Post
Haven't got my Mac with me at the moment but from memory you can select a bunch of images in finder, open them in preview, then hit CMND+F for a fullscreen slideshow.
That worked for me. Thanks. But I will also evaluate other alternatives too.
QUOTE Thanks
MacBurg

MacBurg has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 15" 2.6Ghz | 200GB 7200 | 4GB Ram | 32GB iPod Touch 2G

You might like to check out -

PicturePopPro

Its very handy being only a right click away and works with RAW files too, I had a dig around on the website to see if it supports ICC profiles but couldn't find any info.
QUOTE Thanks
Del

Del has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 2xQuad core 2.8GHZ

iView media pro is also a nice app for photo viewing
QUOTE Thanks
Nevermore

Nevermore is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4GHz 320GB 4GB Ram ATI Radeon HD 2600 PRO with 256MB memory

exists no longer. iView was purchased by Microsoft and is being sold as part of the Expressions Suite. You can buy Expressions Media 2 (digital imaging program) as a separate stand alone program. After switching to Mac I was in dire need of such a program. I tried Mediadex but (for me) it was flaky and had zero support. So far, EM2 has been stable, tons of support and works well for me.
QUOTE Thanks
cradom

cradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21in iMac core2 Duo- 13in macbook - 10.9 on both

I use Phoenix Slides. Small, simple, easy to use.
There are tons of slideshow apps. Do a search at macupdate.com.

Craig Domingue - resident redneck.
“Never argue with an idiot. He will only bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.”, George Carlin
QUOTE Thanks
Don Ellis

Don Ellis is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MBP 2.5GHz, 17-inch glossy screen

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac57 View Post
Hi diffuser78, I believe that what you want is Xee, a nice image viewer along the lines of Linux's feh or qiv - you can open an arbitrary image in a folder of images and then navigate back and forth through other images as you like.
I would like to second this recommendation.

I come from years of PC use and when I switched to a MacBook Pro, I went searching for all the accessory programs I'd come to rely on. For image viewing, I've always liked ACDSee... in fact, I use the simpler version 2.43 more often than ACDSee Pro 2.

In trying out all the Mac viewers I could find that came close to ACDSee, I settled -- gladly -- on Xee. Great little program.

Don
QUOTE Thanks
Del

Del has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 2xQuad core 2.8GHZ

Before iview media pro I did use Xee, but found it to be very unstable
QUOTE Thanks
mac57

mac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, 256 GB SSD, 2 TB HDD, 8 GB RAM

Xee has one big fault - it is not color space aware. So, if your image has an embedded color profile, even sRGB, Xee renders the colors all wrong. I keep Xee around for casual image viewing, but when I want to view my digital photo albums, I now use JustLooking which is the closest I can come to Xee with color space awareness.

My Macs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, Mac Pro 3.2 GHz, PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 GHz, G4 Cube with 1.2 GHz Upgrade
My iStuff: 64GB iPhone 5, 64GB iPad4, 30GB iPod Video, 16GB iPod Touch
My OS': Mac OS X Lion, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Mac OS X Tiger, Mac OS 9.2.2, openSUSE 10.3
I was on the Mac-Forums honor roll for September 2007
QUOTE Thanks
diffuser78

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac57 View Post
Xee has one big fault - it is not color space aware. So, if your image has an embedded color profile, even sRGB, Xee renders the colors all wrong. I keep Xee around for casual image viewing, but when I want to view my digital photo albums, I now use JustLooking which is the closest I can come to Xee with color space awareness.
Hey dude..Just Looking is what I was Just Looking for. Awesome and light weight viewer. Preview should be more versatile and more options should be included.

Thanks a zillion.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Aperture Question(text to photo) | HP Photosmart Essential - free photo editing app »