New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Images, Graphic Design, and Digital Photography Discussion of all things graphics.

Photoshop elements for OS 10.5.4

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Annie524

Annie524 is on a distinguished road

Sorry if this is a dumb question. We recently got daughter MacBook for college and would like a cheap photoshop type program for her. We were just at Costco and they have Elements 6.0 for $79 but doesn't look like it is for Mac..seems odd. What should we be getting her and what should we expect to pay. Thanks so much for the advice.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

There is a Photoshop Elements for Mac, but you do need to make sure you get the Mac version specifically. Costco might not sell it as I've never seen Mac software there. I believe you should expect to pay about $75 for it. Here is an example of what you're looking for.

I would also strongly recommend you consider Pixelmator as an alternative. As a user of the latest Photoshop Elements on Windows, I can tell you that Pixelmator is both less expensive and more functional.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
Annie524

I'm just getting back to this - still on my "to do" list.
Amazon has Elements 6 for Mac for $71.99 which doesn't seem too bad.
I just want to make sure when it gives system requirements
as "Mac OS X v10.4.8 through 10.5"
that my daughter having 10.5.4 is okay.
Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute

I just want to repeat my advice above - don't underestimate Pixelmator. It's less expensive, but just as capable and easy to use as Photoshop Elements.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
Annie524

My daughter asked me to report back to you that she did get Pixelmator for $59 and so far she really likes it! Thanks so much for the great tip.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

Great! Pixelmator really is THAT good - and they just continuously add new features.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« First compact to use full size sensor | Help with Matte in Livetype »