New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Images, Graphic Design, and Digital Photography Discussion of all things graphics.

How can you mass rename based on date on a MAC? Let me explain...

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

visodd

visodd is on a distinguished road

Here is the situation for one folder specifically as an example.
I have a folder with pictures I have taken of my son. Said folder has somewhere well over 1700 shots. These all have different names, and I would like to name them w/ a date. Obviously that is far to many to name individually, and I can't do it in a normal bulk rename and have it name them w/ the date in the name. What I would like to do, or is ideal, is to have some sort of an ap that will rename them in mass, but will do it based on the date. For instance: Maybe I could set "Caleb" as a parameter, then it will go down the list and name them like this:
caleb-10-21-07
caleb-10-22-07-01
caleb-10-22-07-02
caleb-10-23-07
caleb-10-27-08
ect...
Does anyone know of a FREE solution to do this? I have lots of folders to do this with, but the ones w/ my kids are the big ones...
Also, I wasn't sure what section to put this in, so if this isn't right, feel free to move it.
And thanks for any help!

In case it matters, the Mac is a:
MacBook
2.4 Core-Duo
Mac OS X 10.5.4
2gb RAM...
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.10, iPhone6, iPad Air, AppleTV2

Not sure about the date part without checking but have a look at Name Mangler

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

You could do it with a shell script. I wrote one a while back that allowed you to rename based on the EXIF created on date. This one would be pretty similar.

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks
visodd

Name Mangler is awesome, thanks for the tip, it won't do it though. If you add date, it does todays date rather then the created date...

I would have NO idea how to write, or even use a shell script. Is it hard?
QUOTE Thanks
visodd

Thanks for the input!
I found a great way to do it a minute ago. Adobe Bridge! Works like a charm!
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

Awesome! even easier! I write (or edit) scripts every day, so for me they're my preferred method, just was on my way into work this morning.. and running late (course I'd worked all night anyway).

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks
Alexis

Alexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo

Automator is OS X's in built way to do such things.

Ctrl click a file > More > Automator
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Getting Started With Vector Art | Bridge Metadata Question »