New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Images, Graphic Design, and Digital Photography Discussion of all things graphics.

Cartoon or vector looking image

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Mjc.americor

Mjc.americor will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 15.4" MacBook Pro 4GB 500GB 2.4Ghz

i made this as a tribute to grandpa.
Any feedback is always welcomed!
http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/att...1&d=1218000067
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cartoon Grandpa.jpg (295.5 KB, 31 views)

15.4" MacBook Pro Unibody
2.4GHz 4GB Ram and 500GB HD nVidia Geforce 9600
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

It's a vector? Kind of hard to tell...if you really want it to look more like artwork rather than a photograph then I would try doing poster edges and then vectoring those shapes.

Right now..it just looks like a photography and not very interesting at that.
QUOTE Thanks
Mjc.americor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonRequiem View Post
It's a vector? Kind of hard to tell...if you really want it to look more like artwork rather than a photograph then I would try doing poster edges and then vectoring those shapes.

Right now..it just looks like a photography and not very interesting at that.
just tried it on another image and it turned out a lot bitter. I played around with cut-out filters and poster edges. and some lighting effects
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mrs Denherder.jpg (319.2 KB, 18 views)

QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mjc.americor View Post
just tried it on another image and it turned out a lot bitter. I played around with cut-out filters and poster edges. and some lighting effects
I think your second attempt went a lot better than the first, although it still looks like you just ran some filters on a photograph. I high recommend that you take the time to use the pen tool in illustrator or photoshop and trace the shapes so that you have nice clean lines and curves. It looks a little jagged in that photograph.
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

I have a feeling that the OP might be a little confused on what exactly a vector drawing is.
What you have submitted is a Bitmap image.
Bitmap images are made by arranging a ton of pixels. These images use more use more memory than a comparable vector image and lose their quality when re-scaled.

Vector images produced with a drawing software package intended for such a purpose. Vector images are made up of lines, shapes and co-ordinates.

If you truly wanted to vectorize your photo, I would suggest using something like Adobe Illustrator to rotoscope it.

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
Mjc.americor

Quote:
Originally Posted by D3v1L80Y View Post
I have a feeling that the OP might be a little confused on what exactly a vector drawing is.
What you have submitted is a Bitmap image.
Bitmap images are made by arranging a ton of pixels. These images use more use more memory than a comparable vector image and lose their quality when re-scaled.

Vector images produced with a drawing software package intended for such a purpose. Vector images are made up of lines, shapes and co-ordinates.

If you truly wanted to vectorize your photo, I would suggest using something like Adobe Illustrator to rotoscope it.

Alright. this i actually made in illustrator CS3. Took me quite some time.
Its not like the previous ones that i used Photoshop for to run some filters and tweak it a littl bit. It took me about 5 hours
Attached Images
File Type: jpg VectorMike.jpg (286.0 KB, 18 views)

QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

Now that looks more like a vector drawing!

I have posted this before some time ago, but here is an example of a quick one that I did about 2 or 3 years ago:

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
gary61071

gary61071 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 17" G4 iMac dome, 1.25 ghz, OS 10.5.4. 5th Gen 80gb iPod Video

Goofy expression, but as a vector drawing of a face it looks great DB. Better than what I can do, although I've never attempted it. All you do is just trace a photo in Illustrator? What did you use, a mouse or tablet?

"Of course I'm serious. And stop calling me Shirley."
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Adding frames to photo's | iPhoto - sizing pictures »