New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Images, Graphic Design, and Digital Photography Discussion of all things graphics.

What is the Best Photo Editor

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

syllab

syllab is on a distinguished road

I just swicthed to Mac and i am looking for few good softwares to edit or organize my pictures.I have Aperture 2.1 .... Is there any other good ones? Thanks Guys
QUOTE Thanks
kahlil88

kahlil88 is a jewel in the roughkahlil88 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 17" MacBook Pro A1151 2.16 GHz

GIMP is pretty good. It doesn't have all the patented features that come with Photoshop, but it gets the job done quite splendidly. Plus it's free software ("open source").

There is no system but GNU and Linux is one of its kernels.
Join the FSF as an Associate Member!

QUOTE Thanks
Del

Del has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 2xQuad core 2.8GHZ

Stick with Aperture its as good as anything out there - unless you want to heavily process an image with multiple layers and adjustments in which case you will need Photoshop
QUOTE Thanks
KiwiJenn

KiwiJenn will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: iMac = 20-inch, 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM, 320GB HD, Leopard. iPod Nano = 4GB, Silver

A few ideas.

Pixelmator
Photohop CS 3
Photoshop Elements
GIMP

Quote:
good softwares to edit

iPhoto which is already on you mac

Quote:
organize my pictures.
QUOTE Thanks
Zeels90

Zeels90 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 17" 2.8 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo: 4GB 1067 MHz DDR3 (Antiglare)

I'd say Aperature and Photoshop for the editing. To me they're almost equal, but I'm not much of an advanced user. For organizing iPhoto is perfect. Just my personal preferences
QUOTE Thanks
mjconn

mjconn is on a distinguished road

Try the free trials of all of them. Aperture, lightroom, and Photoshop Elements all have them. As noted earlier, GIMP is free.

I would call myself and enthusiastic hobbiest. Lightroom and Aperture are nearly a wash in my opinion besides price and some differences (most obvious: 3rd party add-ons available for Aperture). I found that I like Aperture because it interacts so well with the rest of the Mac programs and adds more control of photos than iPhoto. I have GIMP, but am pretty amateur with it. I haven't found the need to play with layers in my photos much yet, and Aperture has met most of my editing needs. I can't justify the price of Photoshop unless I begin to sell/work in photography. I tried Photoshop Elements. It's interface with iPhoto was a bit choppy (confusing switching into PE from iPhoto to edit and then going back), it interacted with Aperture flawlessly. PE seemed to be a large program though with several components (Bridge, which I didn't see the need for with if you are organizing with another program; Camera RAW).

Lengthy, but my advice is try them all for free. Play with how they interact with each other and other programs on your Mac. Consider your needs and program prices (ie. for ~$80 P. Elements my cover all your needs for organizing, editing, etc.).

Good luck.
QUOTE Thanks
AConfire

AConfire will become famous soon enough

It depends how "deep" you want to go...

Photoshop is my program of choice. It is such a versatile program and offers an enormous amount of creativity and endless features.

But at the same time, there is a lot to learn, and it will take time to understand most of photoshop's more "common" image editing features.

As suggested above, definitely download some trial versions of different programs. Like Photoshop CS3 or whatever is available.

If you think that Aperture isn't giving you the flexibility that you want, then the next step up would be the Photoshop line-up.

So try it out and see what will suit you best.

View my photography blog Here!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Need this picture.. | CS4 interface »