New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Images, Graphic Design, and Digital Photography Discussion of all things graphics.

Best program for logo design?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

mtnman2888

mtnman2888 is on a distinguished road

Hello all, I am wanting to design a logo and perhaps some other small graphics, what would be the program of choice for a beginner? I have heard some about illustrator and have looked at some books on it and it appears to do what i need, but didn't know if there was a better option out there. Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
Audio.Trench

Audio.Trench is just really niceAudio.Trench is just really niceAudio.Trench is just really niceAudio.Trench is just really nice
Mac Specs: Custom PC

I personally use a combination of Illustrator and Photoshop CS2. Mostly Illustrator though.

You'd probably want Photoshop unless you plan on doing a lot of cartoonish stuff, then I'd use Illustrator.
QUOTE Thanks
mtnman2888

Well i'm thinking about getting the cs3 web design premium package since i get a student deal which comes with both. So i would most likely use photoshop for everything that i would need? Thanks again.
QUOTE Thanks
virtuoso

virtuoso will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook. 2.16Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo. 5G 30GB iPod.

i use photoshop cs3 and a little bit of illustrator for design.
if you do decide to get it, most definitely try getting a student discount.
it's costly. haha.

QUOTE Thanks
mtnman2888

I think i'm going to get it, it's definitely a good deal with the student discount. The only downside is you can't upgrade but oh well. So in other words i will mainly use photoshop but i mihgt use illustrator as well?
QUOTE Thanks
drgrafix

drgrafix is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 24" iMac Aluminum/2.8GHz/500GB/6MB/Lacie Quadra1TBTM,MBPro13 wSSD, AirportX, iPhone4G,ATV1

If you have windoze installed on your mac, you could probably experiment with Corel Draw for far less of an investment, and conceptually... both are vector programs. But if you can swing the bucks and have the time to learn AI... that's the way to go.

Without Curiosity, Intelligence Is Nonexistent
Aging Grandpa drives a Supercharged Ford SVT Lightning
QUOTE Thanks
DarkKnight369

DarkKnight369 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 17" MBP, 2.5Ghz Penryn Processor, 4GB of RAM, 200 GB 7200 RPM Hard Drive, High Res LED 17" Screen

Adobe Illustrator, hands down. Vector art is where its at. You can do some nice things in photoshop, but the file will always be rasterized. If that logo is needed for a sign, or something larger than typical print pieces down the line, you will be out of luck if its not a vector logo.
QUOTE Thanks
PunkRockTuba

PunkRockTuba is just really nicePunkRockTuba is just really nicePunkRockTuba is just really nicePunkRockTuba is just really nice
Mac Specs: 17" MacBook Pro, 8GB iPhone

The best program for logo design is your hand with the help of a pencil and paper, then once you get the logo use Illustrator to make it on the computer. Do not use photoshop for logos if you can help it, like DarkKnight said, vector art is where its at.
QUOTE Thanks
Lytheil

Lytheil is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Alu 13.3 Inch , 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 duo , 2.2gb 667 DDR2 SDRAM & Ipod Touch 16gb

Illustrator. Obviously.

QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

Quote:
Originally Posted by PunkRockTuba View Post
The best program for logo design is your hand with the help of a pencil and paper, ....
This... by far... is the best suggestion yet.

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
andersonkyle799

andersonkyle799 is an unknown at this point

Hey
i can suggest you adobe css3 it really works great
QUOTE Thanks
Pickle

Pickle is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: old Dual 2.0 G5, new(er) ibook, old ibook, Mac Plus

I second or third Illustrator. Stay away from photoshop for logos. Logos need to be neat, clean, sharp, and scalable. Photoshop is none of that.

Just my .02

Matt
QUOTE Thanks
FISHB124

FISHB124 has a little shameless behaviour in the past

it's a landslide. illustrator!!!! hard to learn by the book though. get your hands dirty !
QUOTE Thanks
deus_ex_machina

deus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nice
Mac Specs: 2GHz Mac Mini 2GB RAM 160GB 10.6.2 | MDD DP 1.25GHz G4 1.5GB RAM 10.4.11 | 233MHz iMac G3 10.3.9

+1 for AI
QUOTE Thanks
gagnerants

gagnerants is a jewel in the roughgagnerants is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iPod Nano 4gb, 20" 2.66 GHz Core 2 Duo, 2GB of ram, ATI HD 2600 pro

I suggest by hand, then by illustrator than my either photoshop or quark.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iPhoto '09 Library Thumbnail's Broken | Override iSight with DSLR? »