New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Images, Graphic Design, and Digital Photography Discussion of all things graphics.

help me fix my huge mess of pictures

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

mrbubonic

mrbubonic is on a distinguished road

So this is my first post. I've been a mac user for 3 months and I'm so happy I switched. I use iPhoto a lot to sort events with my pictures and its pretty useful, but the pictures in finder are a mess. I have half sorted in folders all with crazy filenames containing random numbers and letters. The other half are just strewn in my pictures folder.

I'm a freak about clealiness so this stresses me out. I don't want to import all the pictures into iphoto and sort them out that way cuz that would take too long and I wouldn't have any idea to sort the pictures that I have just accumulated over the years.

If I had a misc folder it would be huge. I don't know what to do. A part of me just wants to delete all of them and start fresh. But the other part of me is yelling NOOOO!!!! because I like that I have them on my hard drive if I ever want to look at them.

I need some help. I was thinking about sorting the pictures into folders by date but I think that would take forever.

I'm lost.

How do you guys stay organized???
QUOTE Thanks
cuhnool

cuhnool is a jewel in the roughcuhnool is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MacBook 2.1GHz Core 2 Duo | 1GB RAM | OS X 10.6.3 | 250GB External HD | 8GB iPod Touch 1st Gen 3.1.3

although it is totally irrelevant from cleanliness, it actually organizes everything by file type.

Spotlight. It's at the top right corner as the magnifying glass.

or, hit COMMAND+SPACEBAR

when Spotlight comes up, just type "photo" in the bar or whatever the picture name is. it will sort your search words in categories, like Images, Movies, etc. when you find the picture you want, you can click on it and it will take you directly there.

QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

Ahh, the sweet scent of a fresh convert

My first bit of advice, resist the urge to do things the Windows way. In Windows, you have to sort folders manually. In OS X, this doesn't have to be the case, and is often warned against when dealing with programs that organize folders for you, which iPhoto certainly does.

If you want to organize the folders manually, then don't use iPhoto, use the built in Image Capture to import photos manually and then organize the folders as you like. Or change the iPhoto setting of importing files into its library and just use it as an image browser in conjunction with manual sorting.

What I would actually recommend is stop trying to manually organize the folders and just let iPhoto do its thing. I know, letting go can be hard, but you'll save yourself a lot of frustration if you do it the Mac way. Just import the photos into iPhoto and organize the photos within the program itself. Leave the directory structure alone.

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
mrbubonic

something a little more permanent?

what about automator? can it help me?
I'm totally confused about automator? like how to use scripts and stuff?
QUOTE Thanks
mrbubonic

So when I import all the photos into iphoto, what about theones that are already in there? is there a way to get rid of duplicates?
QUOTE Thanks
mrbubonic

OOo OOO wait also when I put a photo in iphoto and then delete it in finder, will it still show up in Iphoto? how does that work?
QUOTE Thanks
cuhnool

Mac Specs: MacBook 2.1GHz Core 2 Duo | 1GB RAM | OS X 10.6.3 | 250GB External HD | 8GB iPod Touch 1st Gen 3.1.3

I don't think you'll be using Automator regularly. Kash said it all. Just let iPhoto do it's thing. It actually works amazingly for me. All my events are in one place. its especially helpful, since my West Virginia event contains 70 photos.

QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future

iPhoto stores all of its photos in a packaged directory structure. The default setting is that when you drag a photo into iPhoto, it will copy that picture to its library, which is located in the packaged directory. You can then safely delete the original picture as iPhoto already has a copy of it within its own library.

I would suggest probably starting over and using the Events feature in iPhoto. Be sure that iPhoto is set to import pictures into its library (you'll find this in iPhoto's preferences)

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
mrbubonic

Okay. I'm going to try doing that. What do you guys reccomend for misc pictures that I pick up from the web? Make an event called "misc" ???
QUOTE Thanks
cuhnool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kash View Post
Be sure that iPhoto is set to import pictures into its library (you'll find this in iPhoto's preferences)
I think that's the default setting. I have never gone into to iPhoto preferences, and it did that out of the box.

QUOTE Thanks
cuhnool

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbubonic View Post
Okay. I'm going to try doing that. What do you guys reccomend for misc pictures that I pick up from the web? Make an event called "misc" ???
go for it

OOPS double posted sorry =P

QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbubonic View Post
I actually have a folder of Internet picture downloads as I have no need to view them in iPhoto, but yes, you could simply create one event and just drag all those pictures into there.

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
Rile

Rile is on a distinguished road

All my established events are gone...they all went into one event. I lost all my names. How do I get them back?
QUOTE Thanks
Pomeroy

Pomeroy is a jewel in the roughPomeroy is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rile View Post
All my established events are gone...they all went into one event. I lost all my names. How do I get them back?
Are you sure you didn't accidentally click on Photos under Library and not Events?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture 1.jpg (33.1 KB, 4 views)

Never ask a man what computer he uses. If it's a Mac, he'll tell you.
If it's not, why embarrass him?'"
..: (Tom Clancy)
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Finder on a Mac problem | need a new digi point & shoot »