New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Images, Graphic Design, and Digital Photography Discussion of all things graphics.

Photoshop Does See All My RAM - Thoughts?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

mac57

mac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, 256 GB SSD, 2 TB HDD, 8 GB RAM

I have 8 GB of RAM in this new Mac Pro. However, when I pull up Photoshop preferences, and go to the Preferences, Performance area, it shows maximum RAM and 3072 MB (i.e. approximately 3 GB). What gives? Is this a known limitation of Photoshop? Is there any way to allow it to use more RAM, since there is plenty more available? Thanks!

My Macs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, Mac Pro 3.2 GHz, PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 GHz, G4 Cube with 1.2 GHz Upgrade
My iStuff: 64GB iPhone 5, 64GB iPad4, 30GB iPod Video, 16GB iPod Touch
My OS': Mac OS X Lion, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Mac OS X Tiger, Mac OS 9.2.2, openSUSE 10.3
I was on the Mac-Forums honor roll for September 2007
QUOTE Thanks
mac57

mac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant future

Problem "solved" - or at least explained.

It *is* a Photoshop CS3 limitation. See this post on Adobe's forums.

My Macs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, Mac Pro 3.2 GHz, PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 GHz, G4 Cube with 1.2 GHz Upgrade
My OS': Mac OS X Lion, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Mac OS X Tiger, Mac OS 9.2.2, openSUSE 10.3
QUOTE Thanks
Alexis

Alexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo

To be honest, you'll have a hard job getting near 3Gb anyway. Even when loads of big images are open in PS, I'm only using around a gig.
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexis View Post
To be honest, you'll have a hard job getting near 3Gb anyway.
Exactly. I never really understood why people want to load up their machines with goads and goads of RAM. Only a fraction of these people come anywhere near using all of it. "More" does not equate to "better" in all cases.
If you are a professional and use multiple RAM-hungry apps, then by all means... load up the machine.

For the 95% or so of people that are left, just get what you need. Just because your Mac Pro can handle 16 GB of RAM, doesn't mean that you need to put that much in it.

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
Blizare

Blizare can only hope to improve
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 14gb ram 24" LED Cd & 23" Cd

Just cause you don't have a mac pro you shouldn't worry too much.

I use 7gb of ram all day long. I actually need more to free it up a bit now running xp on paralells with 2 gb
QUOTE Thanks
bryphotoguy

bryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nice
Mac Specs: Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone

Blizare- congrats?

I wasn't aware there was a 3GB limit. I never come close to that limit with everything running.

Starting to think the 8-core is overkill Mac57?

January 2008 Member of the Month
QUOTE Thanks
mac57

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryphotoguy View Post
Starting to think the 8-core is overkill Mac57?
For sure Bryan. Like I said some time ago, wretched excess. I'm loving it.

QUOTE Thanks
bryphotoguy

bryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nice
Mac Specs: Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac57 View Post
For sure Bryan. Like I said some time ago, wretched excess. I'm loving it.
You were suppose to say. Yea, I should have taken your advice and bought the quad and used the $2000 I savedc to buy you a mini for all your help.

ba da ba da ba- Mac's lovin' it.

January 2008 Member of the Month
QUOTE Thanks
DarkKnight369

DarkKnight369 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 17" MBP, 2.5Ghz Penryn Processor, 4GB of RAM, 200 GB 7200 RPM Hard Drive, High Res LED 17" Screen

I didn't read the Adobe forums, but that might have been a thought out limitation, especially for multi-taskers. I am often running Photoshop CS3, Illustrator CS3, and InDesign CS3 all at the same time with multiple large files open. Adobe may have done that to make sure there is enough of your resources allocated to other stuff.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« My first attempt at HDR photography... What do you think? | Maybe this has been answered, but Im lost »