Specs:
    17" MBP, 2.5Ghz Penryn Processor, 4GB of RAM, 200 GB 7200 RPM Hard Drive, High Res LED 17" Screen
    Just bought a Canon Xsi, wondering if I should have bought a 40D...
    I thought the XSi was the right choice, but people in other forums have told me I should have purchased the 40D. The 3 key differences are the 40D is better in low light situations, it can take 6.4fps instead of the 3.5fps the XSi offeres, and the body is a magnesium alloy that is dust and weather proofed.

I am not sure how much I need that stuff, this is my first dSLR and I am using it for taking portfolio pics of my work, taking image for design projects, and possibly doing band photo shoots. The specs sound appealing of the 40D, but the XSi may be just good enough for me considering I don't even know how to use everything it has yet.

I got the XSi because best buy was offering 0% for 2 years. I purchased the package that came with the kit lens and zoom lens for $1299.99. The 40D is $1299 right now with a kit lens only, and supposedly the XSi kit lens is better. I like that the XSi takes SD and not compact flash, call me crazy, but I see cameras moving in that direction. I bought an 8GB SDHC card for $44.99, where the 8GB compact flash was $160.99. So all around, its more money for less with the 40D.

Do you guys think the 40D is worth it, or should I just stick with the XSi?

Specs:
    MBP - Penryn 2.4ghz
    I say take the xsi back and go buy yourself a used 20d/30d for $400-$600 and invest the rest in a good lense and some extra cf cards. Just my 2 cents!
    The Goods:
    MBP 15" 2.4ghz(Penryn)/2mb ram/200g hd/etc..
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/soulglopics/

Specs:
    Macbook Pro 2.33ghz C2D 4gb Ram
    i would rather save money on a body and spend it on glass. the 20/30D is still a very capable camera.

I agree with what has been said ^

"Camera bodies come and go, but good glass will last forever"

View my photography blog Here!

I would keep the XSi it's a great camera and it sounds like you got a great deal considering how much you spent and with that 2 year financing.

Specs:
    Macbook Pro 2.33ghz C2D 4gb Ram
    another thing, bodies are disposable, glass isn't.

Specs:
    17" MBP, 2.5Ghz Penryn Processor, 4GB of RAM, 200 GB 7200 RPM Hard Drive, High Res LED 17" Screen
    Well I wigged out at Best Buy yesterday. I went in to picku up Ninja Gaiden II for 360, and I looked at the 40D. In the store, I thought it was awesome to use and much better to handle than the XSi. So I went home, got the XSi, went the the store, and exchanged it. After lots of hassle, I got home, took the 40D out, and didn't like it anymore. I liked the grip more, but I didn't like the weight and size. I am surprised, because I am 6'8", 270lbs. I usually like things big. I was playing with it, and I actually preferred the XSi control scheme too.

Yeah, so, I went back to best buy and got the XSi back, but...I ended up getting a better deal. I had a 12% coupon I got in the mail, so I ended up buying a polarizing filter which I didn't have before and still came out $120 less than the original purchase.

Specs:
    Sooper Fast!
    Really? I can't stand shooting with any rebel series camera. Not having the controls right there and having to go into the actual camera menu instead of being able to scroll a wheel around is a huge con in my book, along with the other lacking features.

But I shoot with a 30D with a grip now and I'm planning on purchasing a 5D or it's replacement in the future. Those bodies aren't anything when you consider the fact that I some times do most of my shooting with a lens that weighs as much as, if not more than, the body I shoot with.

I put my 70-200 f/2.8L IS on an XTI once. It was like the spawn of Ron Jeremy and a midget...it just wasn't right...
    Chaotic Evil, Level 1 IT-Tech

Slough Roast Blog
    Capitol Sound Blog

Specs:
    macbook/iphone/ipod nano/ipod shuffle
    Quote Originally Posted by Village Idiot View Post

I put my 70-200 f/2.8L IS on an XTI once. It was like the spawn of Ron Jeremy and a midget...it just wasn't right...
    that maybe the best quote i have read on mf all week.

Specs:
    Quote Originally Posted by Village Idiot View Post
    Really? I can't stand shooting with any rebel series camera. Not having the controls right there and having to go into the actual camera menu instead of being able to scroll a wheel around is a huge con in my book, along with the other lacking features.

But I shoot with a 30D with a grip now and I'm planning on purchasing a 5D or it's replacement in the future. Those bodies aren't anything when you consider the fact that I some times do most of my shooting with a lens that weighs as much as, if not more than, the body I shoot with.

I actually liked the directional arrows over the scroll. Felt more intuitive to me, probably because its what I am used to with their point and shoots. I don't know enough about using XLR to know what I like/don't like with functions and layout schemes. I know what feel comfortable and what makes sense. The 40D didn't right now. Maybe in the future if I upgrade, I will upgrade to the SD 50D.

Thread Information