Aperture or Elements?
    I have recently made the move form PC to Mac and one of my major interests is photography/imaging--on the PC I have limited experience with Photoshop Elements and am now trying to decide which photo/imaging software to go with on the Mac (24" Imac). While I know a bit about Elements on the PC side of things, its not enough to make me stick with Elements for the Mac.

It seems to me that Aperture and Elements are pretty close in terms of functionality/capabilities relative to image editing, RAW work etc---can anyone offer thoughts/comments on which might be better than the other or info on your experiences with one/both?

(PS--I am aware of the Iphoto, simply looking for more capabilities/functionality.)

Thanks!

Specs:
    15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD
    Quote Originally Posted by weatherman View Post
    I have recently made the move form PC to Mac and one of my major interests is photography/imaging--on the PC I have limited experience with Photoshop Elements and am now trying to decide which photo/imaging software to go with on the Mac (24" Imac). While I know a bit about Elements on the PC side of things, its not enough to make me stick with Elements for the Mac.

It seems to me that Aperture and Elements are pretty close in terms of functionality/capabilities relative to image editing, RAW work etc---can anyone offer thoughts/comments on which might be better than the other or info on your experiences with one/both?

(PS--I am aware of the Iphoto, simply looking for more capabilities/functionality.)

Thanks!
    I like Elements quite a bit on the Windows side of things, but I have to admit that I haven't really ventured far from iPhoto on the Mac as it does almost everything I need it to do with photos. I do use a program called "Pixelmator" for touchups, and I've often heard people recommend it in place of Elements.

Also note that Apple has a trial for Aperture if you just want to check it out for yourself.
    Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!

https://youtu.be/KHZ8ek-6ccc

Good point--I better check out the trial. I've read some of the stuff coming up on a search on this topic and it seems both products have a following. Perhaps I will lean toward Aperture in hopes of better integration with other Apple/Mac programs. Thanks!

Specs:
    Aluminum iMac 2.8GHz
    Those 2 programs are a bit different in intention. I would compare Aperture to Adobe Lightroom more so than Photoshop. Photoshop has more in the way of editing/creation. I personally use both and wouldn't really want to replace one for the other. I use Aperture primarily for my photography workflow, and Photoshop primarily for graphics creation and further/more involved editing of photos. Probably a 90/10 ratio of Aperture to Photoshop in terms of how much I use them.
    Portable DAP: iPod nano 4G 8GB (green)
    Headphones: Sennheiser HD485, Sennheiser PX-100W
    Computer: Aluminum iMac 24" 2.8GHz
    Mobile: iPhone 3G 16GB (black)

Thread Information