New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Images, Graphic Design, and Digital Photography Discussion of all things graphics.

Fulfilling Photography Needs

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

tux08902

On Linux I use Gimp and the Fx-Foundry script and plug-in pack and Gwenview, since those were some of the best options I had. On OS X, I have some more options; I see no point in purchasing Photoshop just for a handful of filters and doing common adjustments. Most of my general artwork, aside from photography is done in Gimp and Inkscape anyway, so I have no need for Photoshop. I tried out Aperture 2.1, and I'm still getting used to it. It seems very good for general adjustments. I also tried the Dfx Tiffen plugin for it, which I really like as well. I also did some stuff with Photomatix Pro, which seems like a winner for hdr.

So, my question is is Aperture 2.1, Gimp, Photomatix Pro, BorderFX plugin for Aperture, and Dfx Tiffen a good combo for professional photography needs? I've seen people who love Aperture and people who make it sound like crap, but I need something that's cost-effective. Photoshop and Lightroom are out of the question at this point.
QUOTE Thanks
kmkl

kmkl is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: iMac 24" 2.4GHz 2GB RAM 320GB HD

aperture, and gimp will fulfill your image needs, aperture itself will do fine. of course you could get an HDR program, and a good panorama stitcher but thats pretty much it.

do u have a dslr? i want one so bad, but my photography class requires non digital slr (i was sad when I found out.)

edit: and i just checked out the tiffen gig, and i must say you are pretty much covered!

check out http://www.apple.com/pro/ and look at the different profiles, and se what they use

edit 2: check this: http://www.apple.com/pro/photo/applications/
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

So pick up a cheap manual body. A used fm2 or a new fm10 would be ideal. There are reasons to learn with an all manual film body. I still have my fm2nt, f3 and f4.. and they still get used

edit: I can do everything I want to do in Gimp that I do in photoshop. I use photoshop because after over a decade of use, I'm simply more comfortable with it. Aperture I can't comment on yet, although I think I'll download it today and use it and see what I think.

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks
tux08902

Thanks guys. Dysfunction, I'm the other way around. I've been using GIMP for five years, and I love it, but it has its limitations.

So, now I need to shell out $39 for Photomatix and $300 for the Dfx Tiffen plugin.
QUOTE Thanks
kmkl

Quote:
Originally Posted by tux08902 View Post
Thanks guys. Dysfunction, I'm the other way around. I've been using GIMP for five years, and I love it, but it has its limitations.

So, now I need to shell out $39 for Photomatix and $300 for the Dfx Tiffen plugin.
$300!>? for a plugin/app?

guess thats what separates you from amateurs...
QUOTE Thanks
tux08902

That's the real purchase that I'm fighting with. I get the Dfx Tiffen plugin or go for separate filters. I don't see needing all of them. The standalone version of the Dfx Tiffen application is $99, which is more reasonable, but I like the integration with Aperture. Though, it's hard to pay $200 more for it.
QUOTE Thanks
kmkl

wow they really nickel and dime you
QUOTE Thanks
tux08902

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmkl View Post
wow they really nickel and dime you
Actually, I just compared the standalone verison with the plugin for Aperture. While file management is better with the plugin version, since any changes you make are immediately available in Aperture, the standalone version has an overall better feel and interface. So, I think I can go for the complete standalone, which is $199. The select standalone is $99. I guess it's worth it though, since if you were to go buy 1000 individual Tiffen glass filters, that'd run you pretty high.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Canon File Viewer Utility | Offline images in Aperture! »