New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Images, Graphic Design, and Digital Photography Discussion of all things graphics.

Canon xt or xti

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

k3s

k3s is on a distinguished road

Well i am in the market for a new dslr camera. I have always loved canon so i see it naturally to use it. But i am stuck between the XT and the XTI model. Anyone have experience with both and can say whether there is a big difference between both, since there is a 200 dollar difference between both.
Any suggestions, tips etc..
QUOTE Thanks
Stretch

Stretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD

I got the XTi about a year ago, and love it. I debated the same thing when I got mine, and decided that the little extra was worth it.

Blog and Photo Gallery: http://philolin.me/

Currently running OS X 10.10
QUOTE Thanks
k3s

Yea the more i read up on both the xti seems worth it. The cleaning sensor is a big plus.
QUOTE Thanks
wytwolf

wytwolf will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 2.2Ghz i7 Late 2011 MBP: 16GB Ram 500GB Seagate XT HD

Actually i upgraded today. My xt's auto-focus module was flacking out. When i got the estimate it was just shy the cost the xti body. So is said screw it and bought the body to get the warranty. The xti has a bigger screen, sensor cleaning, 2 more megapixels (not that i counts seeing 8 is more then enough for the avg. person) and more accurate auto focus. I tested it out and it seems to focus faster and alot more accurate in low light. The xti is more compatible with my Canon 17-55mm F2.8 lens. www.dpreview.com is a great sight for reviews and has a great forum also.
QUOTE Thanks
Village Idiot

Village Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Sooper Fast!

The sensor cleaning is a gimmick. There's two different magazines that did testing and both came up with about the same conclusion. Olympus had the best system being about 40% effective over all with Canon, Nikon, Pentax, and Sony coming is with none of their offerings hitting above %10 effectiveness.

They said Canon's problem (from what I remember of the article) was that the sensor retained a charge which held particles to the filter. The most effective method short of doing a swab cleaning is a blower.

I suggest just buying a blower and giving your sensor a few small blast here and there. It's worked beautifully for me so far and there's no risk of scratching the sensor if you're not touching it and using something as gentle as that.

So don't let something like that sway your choice and make sure you research the features that you find interesting before you purchase. That way you'll find out whether or not they're features that add functionality to the camera, or fall short of your expectations.

Chaotic Evil, Level 1 IT-Tech

Slough Roast Blog
Capitol Sound Blog
QUOTE Thanks
Village Idiot

Village Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Sooper Fast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wytwolf View Post
Actually i upgraded today. My xt's auto-focus module was flacking out. When i got the estimate it was just shy the cost the xti body. So is said screw it and bought the body to get the warranty. The xti has a bigger screen, sensor cleaning, 2 more megapixels (not that i counts seeing 8 is more then enough for the avg. person) and more accurate auto focus. I tested it out and it seems to focus faster and alot more accurate in low light. The xti is more compatible with my Canon 17-55mm F2.8 lens. www.dpreview.com is a great sight for reviews and has a great forum also.
I'm currently shooting with an 8mp 30D. I had a photo enlarged for a client, it was a 24"x36" print made from a 1-2mb 8mp file. Talk about impressive work...

Chaotic Evil, Level 1 IT-Tech

Slough Roast Blog
Capitol Sound Blog
QUOTE Thanks
Shalooby

Shalooby is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: MBP 15"

nikon
QUOTE Thanks
k3s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shalooby View Post
nikon
Used nikons before, but never have been a fan of them. Yes i have used the dslr's, i just prefer canon.
QUOTE Thanks
AConfire

AConfire will become famous soon enough

You might as well get the XTI.

The big difference, in my opinion, is the added LCD on the back of the camera on the XT, which Canon took off for the XTI, bigger LCD is the reason...

XTI is a good solid camera. Sitting neck to neck with the Nikon D40x.

I'd just go for the XTI. It has a 9 point AF system, versus a 7-point. Not a BIIG deal, but hey its actually faster too, especially with faster lenses (i.e. f/2.8)

Don't think about megapixels. That should be the LAST thing that determines which camera to get.

All the best,
-AC

View my photography blog Here!
QUOTE Thanks
DarkKnight369

DarkKnight369 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 17" MBP, 2.5Ghz Penryn Processor, 4GB of RAM, 200 GB 7200 RPM Hard Drive, High Res LED 17" Screen

What about the Xsi? Its suppose to be much better than the other 2 rebels.
QUOTE Thanks
AConfire

AConfire will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkKnight369 View Post
What about the Xsi? Its suppose to be much better than the other 2 rebels.
From the looks of reviews, the XSI is better than the XTI. It has more features, and delivers better quality photos from its competitors.

So overall, it looks to be another solid camera from Canon, topping the Xti.

View my photography blog Here!
QUOTE Thanks
DarkKnight369

DarkKnight369 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 17" MBP, 2.5Ghz Penryn Processor, 4GB of RAM, 200 GB 7200 RPM Hard Drive, High Res LED 17" Screen

The Xsi is supposed to share more features with the higher end cameras, which it does. I love the fact that its SD too, especially since I think all cameras will either go that route, or have dual card slots.

I was just in this whole crazy debate over the Xsi and 40D. I took the XSi, got the 40D, and ended up returning it and getting the XSi again.

Some people I know were originally trying to get me to opt for the Xti originally to save money, but the reviews of the XSi were good and made it sound much improved over the XTi.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« In Memory of... | Need some help in illustrator »