New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Images, Graphic Design, and Digital Photography Discussion of all things graphics.

iPhoto HELP

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

dbread007

dbread007 is on a distinguished road

Somehow I managed to send my iPhoto application to my trash and now it will not open from my toolbar. All my photos seem to be available from iPhoto Library but they are not categorised correctly.

I tried to download another version from Apple website but I get n error message upon installation "You cannot install iPhoto Update 6.0.4 on this volume. An eligible iPhoto application was not found in the location /Applications/iPhoto.app."

Can someone help and advise what to do. I have hundreds of Photos in iPhoto and need to access them urgently.

Many thanks

dbread007
QUOTE Thanks
RobertC

RobertC will become famous soon enough

The reason it is not letting you download iPhoto is because you do not have it installed.

Have you emptied the trash?

If you haven't cut it from the trash and paste it into Macintosh HD / Applications.

If you have then find your iPhoto library select it, go to the "cog" type menu (sorry forgot proper name) and select Show Package Contents. Copy all of the images out of there and download something like Picasa and use that. I know it isn't ideal but Apple will not let you downgrade from something that isn't on your Mac.

I hope this helps.
QUOTE Thanks
dbread007

Thanks RobertC for our quick reply.

Yes I deleted it from Trash. I thought it was simply a shortcut and so made a big error there.

an you expand on the "cog" thing you mentioned and explain in a bit more detail where to find 'show packet contents'.

So I can never use iPhoto again, is this right?

Can I use Picasa to remove Red Eye and do other cool stuff iPhoto did.

Sorry I am new to MAC and still trying to get my head around all this.

Cheers

dbread007
QUOTE Thanks
RobertC

Look at the attached image. It will show you what I was trying to explain. After selecting iPhoto Library from Pictures, click on the menu shown and select show package contents.

From there you will need to copy all of the files out.

You will not be able to use iPhoto again, unless you buy a new iLife suite I'm afraid. Items in Applications are the actual application (.app) file.

Also sorry but I assumed Picasa was Mac compatible but it isn't (I've used it on Linux).

There are some online tools that will let you do the job like Photoshop Express. Or there is JetPhoto or for more advanced editing, GIMP.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg leopard-finder.jpg (25.9 KB, 13 views)
QUOTE Thanks
Aubie16

Aubie16 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 2.4 Ghz Macbook Pro, 4GB Ram, 250 GB HD

That isn't entirely true about not being able to use iPhoto again. If you bought your mac new, and still have the install discs...you should be able to reinstall the iLife suite from there I believe.

Somebody correct me if I am wrong.
QUOTE Thanks
Kilted1

Kilted1 is just really niceKilted1 is just really niceKilted1 is just really niceKilted1 is just really niceKilted1 is just really nice
Mac Specs: 2 iMacs 17+20" 2.16GHz 2GB RAM 500MB HDD 256MB Graphic card. 60Gig 5th gen iPod with Video

If you have your install disks you can re install just the ilife package using Pacifist
http://www.charlessoft.com/

Now with Leopard

I was Member of the month April 08
QUOTE Thanks
RobertC

Sorry if I was wrong about that. I made the assumption that iLife was preinstalled rather than part of the OS X install disks. Sorry about that.
QUOTE Thanks
dbread007

Thanks for all your help guys.

Appreciate it.

dbread007
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« New to graphic design, constructive criticism please! | Some help with a name of a program? »