New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Images, Graphic Design, and Digital Photography Discussion of all things graphics.

New to graphic design, constructive criticism please!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

shmendall

shmendall is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: IMAC 20"!! WOOH YEAH!! 2gb ram - 250gb hd 2.16ghz core 2 duo

Hey guys, I have my heart set on being a graphic designer as i am excited by all forms of this art and typography, it really appeals to me.

I am hoping to sign up for Visual Communication course at university this september (for october 2009) and have read i have to make a portfolio.

Ok to the point.. I am very creative and spend all my free time trying to make new pieces, I have been uploading them to a blog I made recently, I was wondering if you would like to take a look and give me your thoughts for a semi beginner to take note of!!

be nice!

blog - http://ryanthomaskendall.blogspot.com
EDIT: Click the thumbs to see in full detail

thanks guys!

Diana F+
HOLGA 135
Actionsampler
QUOTE Thanks
shmendall

I am taking this as good!

Diana F+
HOLGA 135
Actionsampler
QUOTE Thanks
AlyciaAnimation

AlyciaAnimation has a spectacular aura about

I think your stuff is pretty cool. I'm a fan of muted color palettes. You have a good sense of design.

Unless schools in England are a lot different than here in the states, I don't think you'll have any problem getting into a graphic design course.

I shudder at the crap that was my portfolio to get into college 0_0
QUOTE Thanks
Leukeh

Leukeh is a jewel in the roughLeukeh is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 13" MBP, 2.26GHz, 8gb RAM

You obviously have a great eye for colour and design! I started my graphic design course this year and I'm absolutely loving it. Good luck =)

Behance Design/Photography Porfolio
QUOTE Thanks
Sennec

Sennec will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro

The unhappy turtle is awesome! The rest is good, but none of them made me 'wow'. I don't get why you don't align the letters horizontally in "experimenting with colour and type", it would look better I believe.

However, your work does look promising and I'm sure you make a big chance to get into a graphic design course.

Another stain on the sidewalk.
QUOTE Thanks
shmendall

Thank you all for your opinions!

I am sure university will teach me all I need in way of skill, im confident I have enough creativity to go with that!

Ill keep practicing myself though, I find it a really good pass time and loosens me up from the stresses of my 'IT and CISCO' course.

thank you all

Diana F+
HOLGA 135
Actionsampler
QUOTE Thanks
shmendall

Quick question, for my course at university, should I be ok with a macbook, 2.4ghz, 160gb hdd 2gb ram, I am not worried about the screen space, i have a very large external monitor,

Will this macbook be ok for 2d editing?
(I am used to using a lesser 'specced' iMac)

Diana F+
HOLGA 135
Actionsampler
QUOTE Thanks
alexmaccoll

alexmaccoll is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 20" intel iMac, 15" MBP, 3 X 13.3" MB (family etc), G4 tower, 12" G4 PowerBook, iBook G4, 20" iMacG5

That should be fine althoguh you should consider the MBP as it has decent graphics unlike the MB.
QUOTE Thanks
EGGO

EGGO is a jewel in the roughEGGO is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 2008 8-core mac pro. 4GB RAM 1.5TB storage. Dual LCDs (one IPS monitor for the colour).

You need to work on your typography skills. http://bp3.blogger.com/_01U6YtS4rng/...poster-web.jpg the body copy needs to be tweaked, the headline should go through some major kerning and overall in almost all of your pieces, you should try different font families.

http://bp1.blogger.com/_01U6YtS4rng/...tempt1-web.jpg
In this, I would've put the quotation marks right next to the body to create a better sense of balance and do something about how you did the layout there as it feels really bottom-heavy. Again, typography needs total revamping, as does anything I'm seeing that has copy.

Color-wise? Sure, it looks neat, but that's about it. Why were the colors chosen? What kind of atmosphere were you trying to get? I don't quite understand your personality being shown through these.

This is all coming from an art-director and copywriter.

The Visual Portfolio
I hate mac zealots as much as windows/other OS zealots.
QUOTE Thanks
shmendall

For the first of your comments, my actual technical skill and knowledge of rules/done things is zero (could you possibly point me in the direction of any good sites, forums, blogs?) so my mistakes are bound to happen but thanks for pointing them out.

Second thing, in that I tried to imitate a design I see frequently in local independently made music / culture magazines, obviously not taking into account such features of space and balance, again thanks for saying this, it is up there in my mind now!

Picked the colours because on their own (the yellow, blue and pinky colour) were relatively soft colours but matched next to the black I though looked quite striking. (I usually like softer pastelly colours).

again thank you!

EDIT: just to make it clear again, I've had no formal lessons on this all I can do is through looking at others and somehow trying to find my own way of doing it. (same with guitar!)

Diana F+
HOLGA 135
Actionsampler
QUOTE Thanks
voicepipes

voicepipes is on a distinguished road

Ryan,

Your work is very promising! You have a nice eye for creativity. As others have posted there are certain things that a professional might notice right away, but you have a talent worth exploring.

Good luck in University. Come back and show us your progress. Lots of very talented people here to bounce ideas and questions off of.

best,

randy
QUOTE Thanks
tweekskratch

tweekskratch is on a distinguished road

I think your stuff is a good start. I think that you may want to start simple? Try messing with just a basic 1/2 inch grid, and then move up from there. If you can make black font (white bg) look good, you should have no problem with color. I agree with prior statements about font families. Weird fonts become cheesy, unless used correctly. Overall like I said, I think it's a good start.
QUOTE Thanks
Mjc.americor

Mjc.americor will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 15.4" MacBook Pro 4GB 500GB 2.4Ghz

You have a great sense of design and I can tell that you know what your looking for when you design something.
Practice is the only way to get better.
Honestly I liked all of it.
Great Job.

15.4" MacBook Pro Unibody
2.4GHz 4GB Ram and 500GB HD nVidia Geforce 9600
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Lesser Camera Producing Nice Photo Tips? | iPhoto HELP »