New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Images, Graphic Design, and Digital Photography Discussion of all things graphics.

Need advice on downgrading from DSLR to something smaller

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

nicifrog

nicifrog is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: Power Mac G5, OS X 10.3.9

I have a Canon Digital Rebel, the older one. I bought it with the thought that I would learn to use it but after several years and a class later I still don't really get the whole aperature, white balance all that stuff. So I want to downgrade to something that may have switchable lenses but maybe not so many and also a little cheaper! I'd like something with a decent zoom but something that has a quick shutter speed too. Suggestions?
QUOTE Thanks
Peakoverload

Peakoverload has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 27" iMac 3.1Ghz 16GB RAM, 1TB HD. iPhone 4.

If you want interchangeable lenses then that is a Digital SLR which is what you have an the Rebel is one of the most 'basic' of DSLR's. Downgrading won't neccassarily make things any easier to understand, all cameras still have apertures, shutter speeds and white balance to worry about unless you go for a very basic compact camera. You could buy one of the bridge camera out there like one of the Fuji Finepix's but you'd have to use it in auto mode if you can't or don't want to understand it any further, in which case just use the Rebel in Auto mode and then it just becomes a point and click.
QUOTE Thanks
nicifrog

nicifrog is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: Power Mac G5, OS X 10.3.9

Well, really the problem is that it is too big and bulky. I find that the lenses I have (300 mm and 70mm) are nothing special. They were cheapest ones available. I still plan to learn the functions of the camera but my main problem is that right now the camera I have does not fit my needs. In order to have a decent zoom I have to fumble with different lenses and then when I get the 300 mm on it seems very sluggish. I guess I am kind of wondering if getting one like the Sony Cyber-shot 8.1MP, which has 10x Optical zoom and also the choice to switch the lense if you wanted to, would be a better option for someone who is still learning. I suppose this is still an SLR but it seems much more my speed and doesn't come in several pieces.
QUOTE Thanks
phantac

phantac is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15.4" MacBook Pro: 2.2 gHz, 120gb, glossy. STOLEN :(

My friend told me about the Canon G9. It's supposedly a mini DSLR or at least a DSLR-like camera. I'm pretty sure you can change the lenses. Look into it! All I really know is it's a 12.x MP camera, and it looks smaller than the xT
QUOTE Thanks
mastrchief360

mastrchief360 is on a distinguished road

Get the Canon G9 because not only is it smaller. But, it can shoot RAW, I mean how can anyone possibly pass that up for somewhere between $450-$500.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« RQ: need font | Lightroom 2.0 beta »