New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Images, Graphic Design, and Digital Photography Discussion of all things graphics.

Moving (or ideally copying) iPhoto library

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

ajdoom

ajdoom is on a distinguished road

I want to move (or ideally copy) an iPhoto library from my eMac G4 (with iPhoto 2) to my iMac (which has iPhoto 7.1.3).

The older computer is much too slow to handle the 4GB of pictures that we have on there, so they would be more suitable on the newer iMac.

If anybody knows the cleanest and most efficient way of doing this (perhaps we need to purchase iPhoto Manager) I would be very grateful.

Another option would be to copy the libraries onto a CD (which is what we intend to do eventually anyway) and then import any albums from CDs we want on the new computer.

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
goobimama

goobimama is a jewel in the roughgoobimama is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)

Just copy the "iPhoto Library" folder that should be there in your pictures folder onto the same location on your iMac. You can do this via Firewire, ethernet or whatever else. If there is already a library on the iMac, then copy it to a different location.

When launching iPhoto, hold down option key. It will allow you to select a different iPhoto library. If you have copied and replaced the earlier library, there is no need for this step.
QUOTE Thanks
ajdoom

Is the current "iPhoto Library" on my iMac a folder or some kind of executable? I would like all the pictures in the proper place, so that when I import new ones they go to the correct place and I don't have to keep repointing iPhoto. I also don't want to replace the current "iPhoto Library" and find that the application doesn't run as it should.

Am I being over-paranoid here?
QUOTE Thanks
goobimama

Look. If you already have pictures in your iMac, the new one, then there is no other way than to reimport the pictures from the old mac. So what is it?
QUOTE Thanks
ajdoom

Quote:
Originally Posted by goobimama View Post
Look. If you already have pictures in your iMac, the new one, then there is no other way than to reimport the pictures from the old mac. So what is it?
Yes there is.
It's OK I found a clean efficient way of doing it.
Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
goobimama

So could you please tell us how it is done? I honestly want to know.
QUOTE Thanks
skybolt

skybolt has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: White 2010 MB, Core 2 Duo, 8g RAM, iPhone 4S, iPad Mini, Apple TV

Here's the way Apple tells you to do this: http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=93603

Once you have started iPhoto while holding down the option key to select the library, that will remain the default library (for importing, etc.) until you do the same thing again and change the library again. So, there is no need to keep "repointing" iPhoto. It will stay the way you left it until you change it again.

Mary
QUOTE Thanks
ajdoom

Since the boss wanted all the libraries putting onto CD at some point, I decided to simply transfer whatever projects he was working on onto the new iPhoto via the CDs.

Having to hold down the option key while iPhoto is starting is a bit of a nuisance. If I'd have known about that yesterday I would have been able to do exactly that. Why don't they have a simple option in preferences (similar to iTunes) for selecting the iPhoto library?
QUOTE Thanks
skybolt

skybolt has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: White 2010 MB, Core 2 Duo, 8g RAM, iPhone 4S, iPad Mini, Apple TV

If you want to go third-party route, there is iPhoto Library Manager which will allow this. Offers many other options, too, like "merging" two libraries. I use that feature to make sure the library on my external (which holds ALL of my photos) also has the photos from my internal (smaller library that I can carry with me on my MB).

Mary
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« First attempt at vectoring | Pro Bowl 2008 »