New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Images, Graphic Design, and Digital Photography Discussion of all things graphics.

Add text to photo in iPhoto

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Cuclean

Cuclean is on a distinguished road

I'm so sorry if this has been posted before but I can't for the life of my find how you add text to a pic on iPhoto. I know its doable in greeting cards but i need to put some texts against some pics. Not catlols I swear.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
slinki

slinki is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: 24" iMac, 2.8GHz Core 2 Extreme, 500+500GB HD, 4GB RAM, OSX 10.5.1

I never use that software. If you changed your post title from 'Done before? Text?' to 'Add text to iPhoto pic' or something similar, you may get a better response from someone that uses the software :-)
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

I used iPhoto for making an iPhoto book (results were totally dazzling, btw) and you can definitely write text for an iPhoto book. Not sure if you can write text just like that in iPhoto for regular photos though...
QUOTE Thanks
Cuclean

Cuclean is on a distinguished road

Under the advice of another member I've made the title of the thread a little more obvious. I've no idea how to put text on a pic in iPhoto. I know you can do it with a greeting card and all that but I need to know how it's done for a regular pic. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

NOTE: Merged crossposts

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
Cecil

Cecil is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuclean View Post
I'm so sorry if this has been posted before but I can't for the life of my find how you add text to a pic on iPhoto. I know its doable in greeting cards but i need to put some texts against some pics. Not catlols I swear.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Long explanation, but it works!

1) Have 'FINDER' open in Task Bar
2) Put photo from 'iPhoto' or similar program onto the Desktop
3) Double Click photo
4) 'PREVIEW' should now be at the top of your Mac

If you have not done so, go to VIEW, CUSTOMIZE TOOLBAR, and drag 'Annotate' button to your Taskbar

5) Use the Annotate 'button' and arrow down until you see 'Note', click or highlight
6) Drag, (curser turns to a cross mark) a box that will have the word 'text' in it (highlighted in bright green)
7) Tools, Show Font, select your font (This is a small screen, I sometimes leave it open & move it out of my way)
8) Tools, Color, use the crayons feature, select color or black or white (White is perfect for most pictures)
9) Type you notation
9) After completing, the box can be positioned anywhere on the photo
10) To test printing (I'm using a HP) Select 'Paper size' 4 x 6 and print it on 8 1/2 x 11

In my next life, I am going to rewrite manuals! ☺
QUOTE Thanks
Richard Sweeton

Richard Sweeton is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook

If you want to add the text to the photo, so it appears in all uses of the photo, you'll have to edit it. Using InkScape (a free download illustration package) as the editor:

1. Select the photo and drag it to the desktop.
2. Start InkScape and IMPORT the photo from the desktop
3. Click the Zoom button to scale the image display to fit the workspace.
4. Add a layer.
5. With the Text tool, type the text (on the new layer).
6. Switch to the Select tool.
7. Use the Select arrows to position and scale your text. Pick a color for it from the spectrum (at the bottom of the screen).
8. Use the Command-Shift-4 function to snap your new photo to the desktop.
9. Drag the new photo from the desktop to the Photos heading in iPhoto.

(My dad had a Kodak Autographic Camera, which had a window in the back, with a stylus, to write directly on the negative.)
QUOTE Thanks
Pomeroy

Pomeroy is a jewel in the roughPomeroy is a jewel in the rough

A lot of those steps are not needed. If you work on photos often then Preview should be keep on the dock at all times, it is one of the most underrated apps on the mac for people new from the Windows world.
It does a lot more that just let you view one image at a time.

To add text to a photo just drag from iPhoto to the Dock and drop on Preview (doesn't even have to be open and running), use Annotate to add text then save with a new name to the desktop, then drag photo with new name to the Dock and drop on iPhoto, it will be imported with the new name ready for you to do what ever you want.

Never ask a man what computer he uses. If it's a Mac, he'll tell you.
If it's not, why embarrass him?'"
..: (Tom Clancy)
QUOTE Thanks
ptudor

ptudor is on a distinguished road

Well I'll be dipped! I wondered what Preview was good for. I was just about to remove its icon
QUOTE Thanks
Pomeroy

It's so easy to over look what Preview is able to do. Drag and drop a folder on Preview, then check out who you can view the folder with the buttons below the side bar, using the Contact Sheet view you can use the slider to change the size of the thumbnails, use the Next or Previous buttons or the arrow keys on the keyboard to scroll photos. Use Preview's Tool menu to crop, change size, Adjust Color, Rotate and flip, also check out the Inspector to see all kinds of info about the photo (Tiff, Exif). I don't know why Apple doesn't have a good tutorial for Preview to help people from over looking it, but so many of the Apps that come on a Mac look so simple that people don't investigate them and start looking for software to download to do the things came on their Mac.

QUOTE Thanks
danielb

If you want a command line tool to manipulate images that you can use with bash scripts, check out Imagemagick. You can get it here:

ImageMagick: Install from Binary Distribution
QUOTE Thanks
jennymac

jennymac will become famous soon enough

Well, ya learn something every day. I had NO idea Preview was so versatile. I've given up trying to print a photo card in Pages - the sizing is impossible - at least for me. I hate to admit it, but MS Office was SO much easier.

Although now when in Preview and I go to Annotate and the menu is grayed out. Sigh. But I surely see the potential and will now use it for sure. Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
Pomeroy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennymac View Post
Well, ya learn something every day. I had NO idea Preview was so versatile. I've given up trying to print a photo card in Pages - the sizing is impossible - at least for me. I hate to admit it, but MS Office was SO much easier.

Although now when in Preview and I go to Annotate and the menu is grayed out. Sigh. But I surely see the potential and will now use it for sure. Thanks!
In Leopard the annotate in the Tools Menu is for PDF's, To Annotate an image you will have to add it to the tool bar by Right clicking on the tool bar and choosing "Customize Toolbar". Drag the "Annotate" button to the toolbar and then it is available for images by clicking and holding for a second. In Snow Leopard clicking on the annotate button will cause all the different Annotating options to appear at the bottom of Preview.

You can make some pretty nice Photo cards from the "Stationery" that is built into Mail, You can print it out or send as email. iPhoto also does cards that you can have printed professionally or print out yourself.

QUOTE Thanks
HDphoto

HDphoto is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac 24in, MacBook2.4GHz IntelCore2Duo, PowerBookG4 1.25GHz w/one RAM slot, PowerBookG3, IIci

I agree that preview is a neat program, but the instructions from Apple on how to use it are not very good. Anyone know where there is a better online manual for using all the features of Preview? Or of a list of better programs similar or better than it? Good comments here by Pomeroy!

If you have not traveled out of your country for a while, what are you waiting for?!
QUOTE Thanks
MYSPOTZ007

MYSPOTZ007 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pomeroy View Post
In Leopard the annotate in the Tools Menu is for PDF's, To Annotate an image you will have to add it to the tool bar by Right clicking on the tool bar and choosing "Customize Toolbar". Drag the "Annotate" button to the toolbar and then it is available for images by clicking and holding for a second. In Snow Leopard clicking on the annotate button will cause all the different Annotating options to appear at the bottom of Preview.

You can make some pretty nice Photo cards from the "Stationery" that is built into Mail, You can print it out or send as email. iPhoto also does cards that you can have printed professionally or print out yourself.
*****Well this worked perfectly... I'm working on a Macbook that I wanted to add text to a photo on my 3Gs.... Like I posted.. Worked perfectly and thank you for teaching me a thing or two on my Mac. It's so true, there are so many things you can do on a Mac, that you never really know until you come to a forum like this to find out!! Thank you too Mac Forum.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iPhoto problem | Sony NEX-5N Snapshot Quality »