New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Images, Graphic Design, and Digital Photography Discussion of all things graphics.

Add text to photo in iPhoto

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

timphiker

timphiker is on a distinguished road

Why do these simple things have to be so hard to figure out? I have the name on the picture now, I did save as with the new name, now how do I get it back to IPhoto so I can do the slide show? Thanks so much for your help. Sorry to be so dense, but I guess I just need every little detail in the instructions.
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2009 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Drag the new photo into iPhoto's open main window.
QUOTE Thanks
timphiker

I have the name on the photo in Preview. I click Save As and name it and send it to pictures. Now it is on a list that I scroll down to find it. I click on it in that list and nothing happens. I click on the picture itself in the Preview view and it just wants to make another text box. How do I drag it into IPhoto or drop it into the Dock?
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2009 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

1. Save the altered photo to the desktop (for the purposes of instruction).
2. Quit Preview.
3. Open iPhoto.
4. Drag the picture on the desktop into iPhoto's main window (it will "import" it as though it was a new photo)

Does that work?
QUOTE Thanks
timphiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pomeroy View Post
A lot of those steps are not needed. If you work on photos often then Preview should be keep on the dock at all times, it is one of the most underrated apps on the mac for people new from the Windows world.
It does a lot more that just let you view one image at a time.

To add text to a photo just drag from iPhoto to the Dock and drop on Preview (doesn't even have to be open and running), use Annotate to add text then save with a new name to the desktop, then drag photo with new name to the Dock and drop on iPhoto, it will be imported with the new name ready for you to do what ever you want.
I put the text on the photo, but I want to change it from black to white. Can I change it or do I have to start over? Also, I have one picture (out of a bunch from my yearbook) that won't drag to the desktop. Why?
QUOTE Thanks
msconch

msconch is on a distinguished road

This was a tremendous help - as long as i can remember to follow the sequence, but, i cannot change to a new color. i make the change on "colors", but don't know how to "save" it. when i type, it is in the new color, but then when i'm done and save the pic, the color reverts to the original. can you help again? thanks very much.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil View Post
Long explanation, but it works!

1) Have 'FINDER' open in Task Bar
2) Put photo from 'iPhoto' or similar program onto the Desktop
3) Double Click photo
4) 'PREVIEW' should now be at the top of your Mac

If you have not done so, go to VIEW, CUSTOMIZE TOOLBAR, and drag 'Annotate' button to your Taskbar

5) Use the Annotate 'button' and arrow down until you see 'Note', click or highlight
6) Drag, (curser turns to a cross mark) a box that will have the word 'text' in it (highlighted in bright green)
7) Tools, Show Font, select your font (This is a small screen, I sometimes leave it open & move it out of my way)
8) Tools, Color, use the crayons feature, select color or black or white (White is perfect for most pictures)
9) Type you notation
9) After completing, the box can be positioned anywhere on the photo
10) To test printing (I'm using a HP) Select 'Paper size' 4 x 6 and print it on 8 1/2 x 11

In my next life, I am going to rewrite manuals! ☺
QUOTE Thanks
CShad

CShad is on a distinguished road

Okay this was working good for a couple minutes and I put a couple of lines on my image but then it stopped working when I went to add another line and now all I get is an error tone every time I try to add more text to my image. Is there some kind of text limit or something I'm missing?
QUOTE Thanks
drmikenyc

drmikenyc is on a distinguished road

CShad -
My guess (all it is) is that somehow the "error tone" is telling you that some setting is not working within the text rectangle. Could you close out of preview and try again?

I just tried to replicate your experience but could not. I added text to an image, saved it, reopened it, and used annotate/text, immediately going to the font button and selecting same-sized text. I was able not only to add more within the original text box (which surprised me, but is a benefit of not relying on 'layers'), but I could add text between the lines or manipulate the original text. (Maybe try duplicating original, saving what text you add successfully, and then try to add additional text?)

Then again, perhaps it's a case of Murphy's Rule #106, that when you bring something to be repaired, suddenly it works fine. I'm guessing a reboot (of Preview, or worst-case the computer) might 'fix' it, if not one of the several recent OS updates. I find some aspects of the 'work flow' cumbersome, but have found the annotate/text function using Preview to be working consistently. Perhaps others have suggestions....

Good luck!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iPhoto problem | Sony NEX-5N Snapshot Quality »