Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 54
  1. #16


    Member Since
    Jan 22, 2010
    Location
    Victoria, BC
    Posts
    20,911
    Specs:
    Mid-2012 MBP (16GB, 1TB HD), Monoprice 24-inch second monitor, iPhone 5s 32GB, iPad Air 2 64GB
    Another option that might be a little easier (and a LOT more versatile/powerful) is to use the *free* Portraits and Prints software from EconTechnologies. It works beautifully with iPhoto.

  2. #17


    Member Since
    Nov 07, 2010
    Posts
    1
    Annotating an Image with Tiger?
    Quote Originally Posted by Pomeroy View Post
    In Leopard the annotate in the Tools Menu is for PDF's, To Annotate an image you will have to add it to the tool bar by Right clicking on the tool bar and choosing "Customize Toolbar". Drag the "Annotate" button to the toolbar and then it is available for images by clicking and holding for a second. In Snow Leopard clicking on the annotate button will cause all the different Annotating options to appear at the bottom of Preview.

    You can make some pretty nice Photo cards from the "Stationery" that is built into Mail, You can print it out or send as email. iPhoto also does cards that you can have printed professionally or print out yourself.
    Hi,

    I have an older Mac iBook G4 with OS 10.4 and the Preview that came with the machine. When I open "Customize Toolbar" there is no "Annotate" button that I can drag. Do I have any options? I too am trying to add text to photos in my iPhoto library.

    Thanks!

  3. #18


    Member Since
    Nov 20, 2010
    Posts
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by MYSPOTZ007 View Post
    *****Well this worked perfectly... It's so true, there are so many things you can do on a Mac, that you never really know until you come to a forum like this to find out!!
    It amazes me the number of people who dont know what "One to One's" are in an Apple store. When you purchase your Mac you have the option to purchase for a really minuscule amount 1 hour lessons on a one to one basis (as the name suggests) every week for a whole year, to learn anything you want about how to do anything you want on your Mac.

    When I switched from PC and knew nothing about Mac's this was invaluable and the trainers they have in the stores are brilliant. What I noticed however was that most people taking advantage of this service were older so when I asked why that was I was told it was because the younger people who bought Mac's preferred to go away and work it out for themselves......more fool them! I now have full use of my Mac including knowing what preview can be used for and only occasionally have to remind myself on how to do something that I was taught by these fantastic people.

  4. #19


    Member Since
    Oct 18, 2010
    Posts
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by macjunior View Post
    It amazes me the number of people who dont know what "One to One's" are in an Apple store. When you purchase your Mac you have the option to purchase for a really minuscule amount 1 hour lessons on a one to one basis (as the name suggests) every week for a whole year, to learn anything you want about how to do anything you want on your Mac.

    When I switched from PC and knew nothing about Mac's this was invaluable and the trainers they have in the stores are brilliant. What I noticed however was that most people taking advantage of this service were older so when I asked why that was I was told it was because the younger people who bought Mac's preferred to go away and work it out for themselves......more fool them! I now have full use of my Mac including knowing what preview can be used for and only occasionally have to remind myself on how to do something that I was taught by these fantastic people.
    That's fine if you live close to an Apple Store and bought your MacBook at the store, because that's the only way you can get this wonderful help. I live 2 1/2 hours away from the nearest Apple Store and so I bought mine at Best Buy. You get NO HELP from Best Buy; however, I could certainly not take advantage of any Apple Store help, because of the travel distance. I went from a pc to a Mac and have had to figure it all out for myself over the past 2 months. I'm 72 years old and have mastered most of the obvious changes. I come here often, though, to get answers to questions just like this....."how to add text in iPhoto." An invaluable forum.

  5. #20


    Member Since
    Jan 15, 2011
    Posts
    1
    Thanks!
    Cecil and Pomeroy - thank you so so much!! This has been a real problem for me and between you , you have revolutionised my job!

  6. #21


    Member Since
    Jan 22, 2010
    Location
    Victoria, BC
    Posts
    20,911
    Specs:
    Mid-2012 MBP (16GB, 1TB HD), Monoprice 24-inch second monitor, iPhone 5s 32GB, iPad Air 2 64GB
    Remember however that if you add text to a picture in iPhoto (using Preview or Portraits & Prints or whatever) that you can't then get RID of that text unless you "revert to original."

  7. #22


    Member Since
    Jul 03, 2008
    Location
    Redmond
    Posts
    23
    Specs:
    Mac mini
    Smile Apple 1 to 1
    No matter where you buy your Apple (even online) if you take the receipt to an Apple store you can sign up for the One to One service for $100.
    This gives you actually 50 - 1 hour sessions on a 1 2 1 basis but usually people use it once a week for a year.
    It's the BEST $100 you will ever spend!!

  8. #23


    Member Since
    Feb 02, 2011
    Posts
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by Pomeroy View Post
    To add text to a photo just drag from iPhoto to the Dock and drop on Preview (doesn't even have to be open and running), use Annotate to add text then save with a new name to the desktop, then drag photo with new name to the Dock and drop on iPhoto, it will be imported with the new name ready for you to do what ever you want.
    Yay! Exactly what I was looking for!! Thank you so much! I joined this forum because of this answer.

  9. #24


    Member Since
    Jun 19, 2011
    Location
    Fremantle, Western Australia
    Posts
    4
    I tried that
    Hi guys

    I had the same query and found this forum. I did what was suggested (which I had already tried on my own as this seemed to be how one would EXPECT to be able to add text.

    When I get to the part of clicking on the "annotate" button, there is no drop down list. What now?

  10. #25

    Pomeroy's Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 11, 2009
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    273
    Quote Originally Posted by lovekat View Post
    Hi guys

    I had the same query and found this forum. I did what was suggested (which I had already tried on my own as this seemed to be how one would EXPECT to be able to add text.

    When I get to the part of clicking on the "annotate" button, there is no drop down list. What now?
    There won't be a drop down list when you click on the Annotate button, the tools will appear at the bottom of the window. You will get a drop down list when you use the Tools in the menu bar and select Annotate.
    Never ask a man what computer he uses. If it's a Mac, he'll tell you.
    If it's not, why embarrass him?'"
    ..: (Tom Clancy)

  11. #26


    Member Since
    Jun 19, 2011
    Location
    Fremantle, Western Australia
    Posts
    4
    Thank you! All sorted... I was being a little obtuse.

  12. #27


    Member Since
    Jul 18, 2011
    Posts
    3
    Adding text to photo
    I am trying to do the same thing here and am having some trouble. From the menu at the top of the screen everything is grey in the annotate drop down. From the menu in the previews window I was able to add annotate and make an oval window but do not see how to add text... I have a MacBook and am running OS X 10.5.8.

    In advance thank you for your help
    BK

  13. #28

    Pomeroy's Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 11, 2009
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    273
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigkahuna427 View Post
    I am trying to do the same thing here and am having some trouble. From the menu at the top of the screen everything is grey in the annotate drop down. From the menu in the previews window I was able to add annotate and make an oval window but do not see how to add text... I have a MacBook and am running OS X 10.5.8.

    In advance thank you for your help
    BK
    I believe Preview in OS X 10.5.8 you will have to put the "Annotate" button on the tool bar by going to the View menu and choosing "Customize Tool Bar" you can drag the Annotate button to the tool bar. The Annotate you are seeing now is to annotate PDF's and not images..
    Never ask a man what computer he uses. If it's a Mac, he'll tell you.
    If it's not, why embarrass him?'"
    ..: (Tom Clancy)

  14. #29

    Pomeroy's Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 11, 2009
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    273
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigkahuna427 View Post
    I am trying to do the same thing here and am having some trouble. From the menu at the top of the screen everything is grey in the annotate drop down. From the menu in the previews window I was able to add annotate and make an oval window but do not see how to add text... I have a MacBook and am running OS X 10.5.8.

    In advance thank you for your help
    BK
    Tp add text if I remember right just drag the text box out where you want it then start typing, you can change the Font, Size and Color of the text too.
    This screen shot is from 10.6's Preview but may be similar.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Never ask a man what computer he uses. If it's a Mac, he'll tell you.
    If it's not, why embarrass him?'"
    ..: (Tom Clancy)

  15. #30


    Member Since
    Jul 18, 2011
    Posts
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by Pomeroy View Post
    I believe Preview in OS X 10.5.8 you will have to put the "Annotate" button on the tool bar by going to the View menu and choosing "Customize Tool Bar" you can drag the Annotate button to the tool bar. The Annotate you are seeing now is to annotate PDF's and not images..
    Thank you for the quick reply! I did drag the annotate button to the window tool bar. The only thing I seem to be able to do Is make an oval. Scratch scratch????

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. How to add text to iPhoto pictures?
    By tjet25 in forum Images, Graphic Design, and Digital Photography
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-06-2013, 03:07 PM
  2. iphoto straighten and add text
    By anandaloka46 in forum Switcher Hangout
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 12-18-2012, 09:50 PM
  3. PLEASE how do I add text to a photo in preview
    By BC0803 in forum OS X - Operating System
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-19-2012, 12:24 AM
  4. Can I add text and symbols to photos using iPhoto??
    By rholmes01 in forum Switcher Hangout
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-29-2010, 01:37 PM
  5. Add text to a photo in iPhoto?
    By badmojo in forum Images, Graphic Design, and Digital Photography
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-08-2005, 01:01 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •