New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Images, Graphic Design, and Digital Photography Discussion of all things graphics.

Add text to photo in iPhoto

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Another option that might be a little easier (and a LOT more versatile/powerful) is to use the *free* Portraits and Prints software from EconTechnologies. It works beautifully with iPhoto.
QUOTE Thanks
Chandra

Chandra is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pomeroy View Post
In Leopard the annotate in the Tools Menu is for PDF's, To Annotate an image you will have to add it to the tool bar by Right clicking on the tool bar and choosing "Customize Toolbar". Drag the "Annotate" button to the toolbar and then it is available for images by clicking and holding for a second. In Snow Leopard clicking on the annotate button will cause all the different Annotating options to appear at the bottom of Preview.

You can make some pretty nice Photo cards from the "Stationery" that is built into Mail, You can print it out or send as email. iPhoto also does cards that you can have printed professionally or print out yourself.
Hi,

I have an older Mac iBook G4 with OS 10.4 and the Preview that came with the machine. When I open "Customize Toolbar" there is no "Annotate" button that I can drag. Do I have any options? I too am trying to add text to photos in my iPhoto library.

Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
macjunior

macjunior is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MYSPOTZ007 View Post
*****Well this worked perfectly... It's so true, there are so many things you can do on a Mac, that you never really know until you come to a forum like this to find out!!
It amazes me the number of people who dont know what "One to One's" are in an Apple store. When you purchase your Mac you have the option to purchase for a really minuscule amount 1 hour lessons on a one to one basis (as the name suggests) every week for a whole year, to learn anything you want about how to do anything you want on your Mac.

When I switched from PC and knew nothing about Mac's this was invaluable and the trainers they have in the stores are brilliant. What I noticed however was that most people taking advantage of this service were older so when I asked why that was I was told it was because the younger people who bought Mac's preferred to go away and work it out for themselves......more fool them! I now have full use of my Mac including knowing what preview can be used for and only occasionally have to remind myself on how to do something that I was taught by these fantastic people.
QUOTE Thanks
Louisericson

Louisericson is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by macjunior View Post
It amazes me the number of people who dont know what "One to One's" are in an Apple store. When you purchase your Mac you have the option to purchase for a really minuscule amount 1 hour lessons on a one to one basis (as the name suggests) every week for a whole year, to learn anything you want about how to do anything you want on your Mac.

When I switched from PC and knew nothing about Mac's this was invaluable and the trainers they have in the stores are brilliant. What I noticed however was that most people taking advantage of this service were older so when I asked why that was I was told it was because the younger people who bought Mac's preferred to go away and work it out for themselves......more fool them! I now have full use of my Mac including knowing what preview can be used for and only occasionally have to remind myself on how to do something that I was taught by these fantastic people.
That's fine if you live close to an Apple Store and bought your MacBook at the store, because that's the only way you can get this wonderful help. I live 2 1/2 hours away from the nearest Apple Store and so I bought mine at Best Buy. You get NO HELP from Best Buy; however, I could certainly not take advantage of any Apple Store help, because of the travel distance. I went from a pc to a Mac and have had to figure it all out for myself over the past 2 months. I'm 72 years old and have mastered most of the obvious changes. I come here often, though, to get answers to questions just like this....."how to add text in iPhoto." An invaluable forum.
QUOTE Thanks
SML

SML is on a distinguished road

Cecil and Pomeroy - thank you so so much!! This has been a real problem for me and between you , you have revolutionised my job!
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Remember however that if you add text to a picture in iPhoto (using Preview or Portraits & Prints or whatever) that you can't then get RID of that text unless you "revert to original."
QUOTE Thanks
Howker

Howker is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac mini

No matter where you buy your Apple (even online) if you take the receipt to an Apple store you can sign up for the One to One service for $100.
This gives you actually 50 - 1 hour sessions on a 1 2 1 basis but usually people use it once a week for a year.
It's the BEST $100 you will ever spend!!
QUOTE Thanks
Mythica

Mythica is on a distinguished road

Quote:
To add text to a photo just drag from iPhoto to the Dock and drop on Preview (doesn't even have to be open and running), use Annotate to add text then save with a new name to the desktop, then drag photo with new name to the Dock and drop on iPhoto, it will be imported with the new name ready for you to do what ever you want.
Yay! Exactly what I was looking for!! Thank you so much! I joined this forum because of this answer.
QUOTE Thanks
lovekat

lovekat is on a distinguished road

Hi guys

I had the same query and found this forum. I did what was suggested (which I had already tried on my own as this seemed to be how one would EXPECT to be able to add text.

When I get to the part of clicking on the "annotate" button, there is no drop down list. What now?
QUOTE Thanks
Pomeroy

Pomeroy is a jewel in the roughPomeroy is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovekat View Post
Hi guys

I had the same query and found this forum. I did what was suggested (which I had already tried on my own as this seemed to be how one would EXPECT to be able to add text.

When I get to the part of clicking on the "annotate" button, there is no drop down list. What now?
There won't be a drop down list when you click on the Annotate button, the tools will appear at the bottom of the window. You will get a drop down list when you use the Tools in the menu bar and select Annotate.

Never ask a man what computer he uses. If it's a Mac, he'll tell you.
If it's not, why embarrass him?'"
..: (Tom Clancy)
QUOTE Thanks
lovekat

lovekat is on a distinguished road

Thank you! All sorted... I was being a little obtuse.
QUOTE Thanks
Bigkahuna427

Bigkahuna427 is on a distinguished road

I am trying to do the same thing here and am having some trouble. From the menu at the top of the screen everything is grey in the annotate drop down. From the menu in the previews window I was able to add annotate and make an oval window but do not see how to add text... I have a MacBook and am running OS X 10.5.8.

In advance thank you for your help
BK
QUOTE Thanks
Pomeroy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigkahuna427 View Post
I am trying to do the same thing here and am having some trouble. From the menu at the top of the screen everything is grey in the annotate drop down. From the menu in the previews window I was able to add annotate and make an oval window but do not see how to add text... I have a MacBook and am running OS X 10.5.8.

BK
I believe Preview in OS X 10.5.8 you will have to put the "Annotate" button on the tool bar by going to the View menu and choosing "Customize Tool Bar" you can drag the Annotate button to the tool bar. The Annotate you are seeing now is to annotate PDF's and not images..

QUOTE Thanks
Pomeroy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigkahuna427 View Post

BK
Tp add text if I remember right just drag the text box out where you want it then start typing, you can change the Font, Size and Color of the text too.
This screen shot is from 10.6's Preview but may be similar.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen shot 2011-07-18 at Jul 18, 3.27.54 PM.jpg (10.6 KB, 31 views)

QUOTE Thanks
Bigkahuna427

Bigkahuna427 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I believe Preview in OS X 10.5.8 you will have to put the "Annotate" button on the tool bar by going to the View menu and choosing "Customize Tool Bar" you can drag the Annotate button to the tool bar. The Annotate you are seeing now is to annotate PDF's and not images..
Thank you for the quick reply! I did drag the annotate button to the window tool bar. The only thing I seem to be able to do Is make an oval. Scratch scratch????
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iPhoto problem | Sony NEX-5N Snapshot Quality »