New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Community Suggestions and Feedback A place for your suggestions and comments about the Mac-Forums Community itself

How do you make those bars below your..?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

rixx03

rixx03 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: White MacBook 2GHz Intel Core2Duo 1GB 667MHz DDR2SDRAM 120GB HD | iPod Video 80GB White | iPhone 8GB

How do you make those bars below your avatar icon increase? I know it's because of how many posts you make.. but how many posts do you need to make it increase?

|| i BOUGHT MY MACBOOK ON MARCH 24, 2007 ||
|| WHiTE MACBOOK 2GHZ iNTEL CORE 2 DUO 1GB 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM 120GB HD ||
|| iPOD ViDEO 80GB WHiTE || iPHONE 8GB ||
QUOTE Thanks
mac57

mac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, 256 GB SSD, 2 TB HDD, 8 GB RAM

Its called the User Reputation System. When someone likes what you post, they "give you rep" by pressing the middle button of the set of three little buttons below your avatar and profile info. The number of points you get from that depends on who the presenter of the rep is. The more senior that member (amount of rep themselves, number of post, and several other secret recipe ingredients that mere mortals like ourselves are not allowed to know) the more rep points you get.

Rep can be positive or negative. If someone is consistently dishing out bad advice or generally behaving badly on the forums, you can give negative rep. The reduces the receiver's rep count.

The idea is to promote good behavior and provide a recognition vehicle for members whose input is generally considered sound.

So, get out there and start helping people! The more value you provide, the more rep you get! Thats the idea anyway.

Of course, the operation of the rep system overall is always a source of discussion/controversy, as you would expect, but for most people, it would seem that it does the job.

Hope this helps. Give me rep if you liked it, just to try it out. I have given you some rep as an example. To see your rep count, look at the top of the page and find the item called Profile. Click that and you will be taken to a page that shows your current rep count and any comments folks have submitted along with it, as well as lots of other useful information!

Enjoy Mac Forums!!

My Macs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, Mac Pro 3.2 GHz, PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 GHz, G4 Cube with 1.2 GHz Upgrade
My iStuff: 64GB iPhone 5, 64GB iPad4, 30GB iPod Video, 16GB iPod Touch
My OS': Mac OS X Lion, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Mac OS X Tiger, Mac OS 9.2.2, openSUSE 10.3
I was on the Mac-Forums honor roll for September 2007
QUOTE Thanks
surfwax95

surfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15" Powerbook G4 • 24" iMac • iPhone 3Gs

It represents how many people you've converted to the Mac Cult.

Each dot stands for 10 people.

Kind of like bogey marks on fighter jets.

I try to Command+Shift+/ when I can.
They're - Their - There | Two - Too - To | You're - Your | MAC - Mac
I was on the M-F honor roll for October, 2006.
QUOTE Thanks
rixx03

Mac Specs: White MacBook 2GHz Intel Core2Duo 1GB 667MHz DDR2SDRAM 120GB HD | iPod Video 80GB White | iPhone 8GB

So now I get it. Thanks to you both!

QUOTE Thanks
KoDorSean

KoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.4 GHz intel core 2 duo MBP, iPhone 5, iPad 3

here is some good info on the user rep system also.

New User Reputation System

I was on the M-F honor roll for month : May 2007
QUOTE Thanks
rixx03

Thanks KoDorSean! Anyway, how come I see others with red dots? What's up with that?

QUOTE Thanks
TenderSurrender

TenderSurrender is just really niceTenderSurrender is just really niceTenderSurrender is just really niceTenderSurrender is just really nice
Mac Specs: MBP - 2.66Ghz Core 2 duo, 4GB Ram, 320GB HDD, Geforce 9400m + 9600M GT (256mb)

Well rixx03, in the same way people can say "good post" and give you positive rep, people can also say "bad post" and give you negative rep.

~~ TS ~~

JEMDNA Photography - Clicky to see latest work
“Punk is not dead. Punk will only die when corporations can exploit and mass produce it.”
QUOTE Thanks
Richie_Gecko

Richie_Gecko is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 13" MacBook Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by rixx03 View Post
So now I get it. Thanks to you both!
As you will notice, my bar is red. That's what happens when you misbehave. I got into it with some members and mods a while back, and I'm still recovering from my misdeeds.

Needless to say, I cooled off for a LONG TIME, came back, and I'm working my way back up.

Mac: White MacBook; 2.0 Core Duo; 2GB RAM; 100GB 7200 RPM; 20" Cinema Display
PC: 64 x2 Dual Core 5200+, 2 GB RAM, 320GB 7200RPM SATA, GeForce 7600GT 128MB
Car: 2008 Toyota Prius w/ Lots of Goodies
On the Internets: Flickr | My Site
QUOTE Thanks
rixx03

Hey TenderSurrender, thanks for the rep. But why is the dot grey instead of red or green?

QUOTE Thanks
DistantHoller

DistantHoller is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook 2.0 c2d 2gb 80gb SD Mac Mini c2d 1.83

I'm not sure I like this system cause it might put nOObs (like me) off. I posted a question about using other peoples wifi-networks (and had, what I tought, a new take on it). I got corrected (thread closed) and two people sent me bad rep. That´s really not a friendly welcome.

You can´t see who sent you the bad rep wich I think is wrong. If you think someone is worth bad rep, you should have the courage to show your name.

A dead fish can float with the stream, but it takes a live one to swim against it.
QUOTE Thanks
rixx03

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie_Gecko View Post
As you will notice, my bar is red. That's what happens when you misbehave. I got into it with some members and mods a while back, and I'm still recovering from my misdeeds.

Needless to say, I cooled off for a LONG TIME, came back, and I'm working my way back up.
Oh, good luck then!

QUOTE Thanks
rixx03

Quote:
Originally Posted by DistantHoller View Post
I'm not sure I like this system cause it might put nOObs (like me) off. I posted a question about using other peoples wifi-networks (and had, what I tought, a new take on it). I got corrected (thread closed) and two people sent me bad rep. That´s really not a friendly welcome.

You can´t see who sent you the bad rep wich I think is wrong. If you think someone is worth bad rep, you should have the courage to show your name.
I think you can. Just open your control panel and in the place where the rep points are showed, just click the topic name and it would automatically navigate to the poster's post then you will be able to see his/her username. But I don't know if the thread is closed.

I don't really get the fact that your thread was closed. Enlighten me please? :girl:

QUOTE Thanks
moss918

moss918 is just really nicemoss918 is just really nicemoss918 is just really nicemoss918 is just really nicemoss918 is just really nice
Mac Specs: iMac 2.93C2D 4GB

Quote:
I agree, but if that rule was enforced then you may as well scrap the system as it will only incite rep-revenge. I like the rep system and think it has been tweaked enough that it's at a place where it works well, and all of this has been discussed at length before...

Welcome back Richie! Am I the only one nosey enough to ask what the argument was about? Never spoke to anyone with red rep before... my mummy told me to stay away...

EDIT: On second thoughts Richie, probably not best to mention whatever got you in trouble before. Sorry, my bad, ignore my above question. :black:
QUOTE Thanks
Richie_Gecko

Richie_Gecko is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 13" MacBook Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by rixx03 View Post
Oh, good luck then!
Thanks

Mac: White MacBook; 2.0 Core Duo; 2GB RAM; 100GB 7200 RPM; 20" Cinema Display
PC: 64 x2 Dual Core 5200+, 2 GB RAM, 320GB 7200RPM SATA, GeForce 7600GT 128MB
Car: 2008 Toyota Prius w/ Lots of Goodies
On the Internets: Flickr | My Site
QUOTE Thanks
rixx03

Quote:
Originally Posted by moss918 View Post
I agree, but if that rule was enforced then you may as well scrap the system as it will only incite rep-revenge. I like the rep system and think it has been tweaked enough that it's at a place where it works well, and all of this has been discussed at length before...
Yeah, rep-revenge. Then there would be chaos. Soon after they'll change the rep system.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Why Can't I open forum pic thumbnails? | How has Mac-Forums gotten so large? »