Mac Forums

Mac Forums (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/)
-   Community Suggestions and Feedback (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/community-suggestions-feedback/)
-   -   How about a new forum (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/community-suggestions-feedback/306928-how-about-new-forum.html)

cptkrf 12-20-2013 09:09 AM

How about a new forum

One called Security. Given the state of the Internet and the way it is going, this topic is going to be more important by the day. Retail data thefts, the Mac camera secret turn-on hack (true or not) and so forth are just two items of the day's news.

So far, the Unix based OSX is fairly immune to the usual open door assaults on that other OS, but even a Mac user who doesn't pay attention can fall for phishing, email spoofing, phony web sites and others.

At the moment, there doesn't seem to be a forum that these topics would fit into without getting buried by the other posts for that area.

Just an idea.

McBie 12-20-2013 09:13 AM

In my mind, this is a great idea.

Cheers ... McBie

Exodist 12-20-2013 09:28 AM

I think its a good idea as well.

Given that most would assume that security questions would fall under the OSX forum, how ever security its self is both on the software and hardware level. Plus under the software side, there is also browser security issues which also are not fully OSX directed, not to mention also aftermarket per se network security and firewall software. So all in all a forum just on security would be something I would love to see. Hope this gets considered.

- Joe

cwa107 12-20-2013 11:39 AM

I think that's a great idea. I will work on it over the holidays.

Raz0rEdge 12-20-2013 12:10 PM

I agree, a wonderful idea for a new sub-forum..

RadDave 12-20-2013 12:35 PM

Well, I've only become active since the spring of this year (delayed my Apple purchases a year for some reason) but have been posting in a number of threads related to security needs on Apple operating systems, whether OS X or iOS; so would certainly support a new forum - would sub-forums be a consideration? Dave :)

Raz0rEdge 12-20-2013 12:45 PM

Dave, it's probably not a bad idea to have Security forum which then gets broken down to OS X and iOS security as the methods and processes are sufficiently different between those two platforms.

pigoo3 12-20-2013 12:57 PM

I hoping that if we establish a new forum for "Security" related topics...that it sees VERY LITTLE activity.:)

- Nick

McBie 12-20-2013 01:02 PM

My suggestion is not to break it down into subforums because most of the " security " issues ( Threats and vulnerabilities ) are common across technologies. Only the likelihood of that vulnerability being exploited will change due to compensating controls ( or lack there off ) available in that specific technology.
If you do decide for a subforum, call it AWARENESS ..... because that is what is going to help people, not only technology solutions :-)

It might also be a good idea not to call it security at all, because you might create wrong expectations.

Only my 2 cents.

Cheers ... McBie

Backlighting 12-20-2013 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cwa107 (Post 1557585)
I think that's a great idea. I will work on it over the holidays.

Thank you.

Slydude 12-20-2013 04:08 PM

Good idea for a new area. My first reaction would be not to break it down further. originally I thought a breakdown of IOS versus "regular" gear might be useful then I read McBie's post and changed my mind.

RavingMac 12-20-2013 08:23 PM

I think it's a great idea too, but lean toward having sub forums

Antivirus and Security Software: this sub would be basic recommendations and discussions on software, prevention and maintenance

Threat Alerts: hot topic forum for current Trojans, pfishing schemes etc

Also could have a sub devoted to smart practices

Slydude 12-20-2013 09:03 PM

I like that breakdown of sub forums and particularly the section on smart practices. Just didn't want to get bogged down in the IOS vs. OS X breakdown. That didn't seem productive.

The Smart/Best practices area might include things such as considerations for not divulging too much information as you traverse the net. I bet most parents don't realize how much information can be data mined from some of the information required on "kids safe" sites.

cwa107 12-20-2013 09:12 PM

We're not going to break it down. It's going to be a general forum for security related discussions, including AV and best practices related to Apple Devices.

chscag 12-20-2013 09:15 PM

Traffic is slow enough without adding more sub forums that folks will wind up posting the wrong subject matter to. Even some of our more seasoned members still don't know which forum to post to and wind up dumping everything in "Switcher".

McBie has the right idea in my opinion. Let's keep it simple folks - you know, KISS! ;)

Edit: I see Chris beat me to it! I fully agree Chris.