New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Community Suggestions and Feedback A place for your suggestions and comments about the Mac-Forums Community itself

Custom Titles?

Thread Closed

RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

How about if we let members with more than 10,000 posts and 10 green rep dots do a custom badge? The Staff could always monitor and override if things got out of hand.

@Baggss: Curious now, what Title did you have in mind, if you don't mind sharing that?

I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

Quote:
Originally Posted by I.M.O.G. View Post
The glacial entity has nothing to do with this decision, except we'll trust and support what the staff believes to be best for the community.
I never said that iNet alone comprised the "Glacial Entity", in fact I've always considered the staff to be part of it, voulenteers or not and the comment by APTMINICH
highlights that IMO.

And don't even get me started on the "new" skin discussion, I'm trying to not jump on that horse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razormac View Post
How about if we let members with more than 10,000 posts and 10 green rep dots do a custom badge? The Staff could always monitor and override if things got out of hand.

@Baggss: Curious now, what Title did you have in mind, if you don't mind sharing that?

I don't have anything specific in mind, I always allow experinces in the individual forums to lead me to a title. For example over at iLounge my title is "Stoopid Ameican rednek" with the mispellings being intetional. The origins are some years old but stem from a discussion about politics that we had at the time. Folks who have been around there as long as I have know the story and get the joke, but the title is still fun to have. What would I have here? Maybe just "General PITA" which is how, I have been told, some of the staff has viewed me over the years.

RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

How about?

General Nusants

I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Quote:
Originally Posted by baggss View Post
I never said that iNet alone comprised the "Glacial Entity", in fact I've always considered the staff to be part of it, voulenteers or not and the comment by APTMINICH
highlights that IMO.
Referring to the people you're asking to make changes to in this way doesn't bode well for your request. This is why I'm not sure what saying this is supposed to accomplish. Is it even supposed to accomplish anything or is it venting for the sake of venting?

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razormac View Post
How about?

General Nusants
That's the spirit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vansmith View Post
Referring to the people you're asking to make changes to in this way doesn't bode well for your request. This is why I'm not sure what saying this is supposed to accomplish. Is it even supposed to accomplish anything or is it venting for the sake of venting?
I pretty much realize that this isn't going to happen judging by the responses in this thread. In fact, I don't think it even got any serious consideration by anyone who could make that decision so I don't think I'm treading on any shaky ground here. Is the implication here that by using a staff members name to illustrate a point, that I have been bad?

What is it supposed to acomplish? Maybe just more choice for the loyal forum members. I even suggested making it one of those long promised but never delivered "perks" for the paying premium members but I suspect that fell on deaf ears as well. Maybe there is a bit of venting for the sake of venting but maybe if I felt that a seriouse suggestion by a senior member in good standing was given any real conisderatrin vice lip service (or an indirect NO) I wouldn't feel the need to vent. I suppose it's a good thing I declined to pay $24 for nothing, I'd be really upset then...

MacDude121

MacDude121 is a glorious beacon of lightMacDude121 is a glorious beacon of lightMacDude121 is a glorious beacon of lightMacDude121 is a glorious beacon of lightMacDude121 is a glorious beacon of lightMacDude121 is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Black MacBook 2.2GHz C2D, 4GB Ram - iMac G4 700MHz, 512MB Ram

Quote:
Originally Posted by baggss View Post
I think Schweb and I talked about this at one point after the change was instituted, but I think he decided it was fine as it was and left it. I'm just opting for more choice for the members here is all, but if the consensus is that it should be left as it is, then so be it.

That being said though, I do find it odd that the staff/owners chose to give us a new skin (change for the sake of change....and make it the default one too...yes I know it can be changed) but are not willing to give the members a simple option like custom titles. The Glacial entity always knows best....
I don't believe it was change for the sake of change. The forum did need to be updated eventually. Sure, it still worked fine, but it looked like a website from 2002 rather than one from 2012.

As far as the custom titles go, yes I can see where you're coming from with your opinions. But giving people the option to "Title" themselves with whatever they want could get very confusing very fast. Every newbie joining would change his badge to "Staff" or "Administrator" and cause trouble. I have no problem with the way things are right now, Senior Member shows that you're experienced with the forum, and although not quite a staff member, it demands a little more "Respect" right off the bat.

-Evan
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Here's a simple, straightforward answer for you, Baggss - "no". Things work fine the way they are, but thanks for the suggestion.

We're done here.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!

Thread Closed

« Create New Thread in Mac Forums | Better Developers Forum »